Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

F***ed-over by tire shop. what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014 | 03:33 PM
|
karlawson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01xtreme_chevy
Well the worst thing to do would be to call back or show up with hot head and a bad temper. All that will get you is nothing and take you nowhere. Just call them back explain what the problem is and what is going on with it like a level headed guy.

As stated above the pitman rarely goes out, but like all things it can go out.
I think your biggest steering issue might be somewhere in the line of ball joints, tie rods, idler arm and maybe your center/drag link (not sure about this one). But your ball joints, tie-rods and idler arm will improve steering drastically.

Whatever you do..,don't loose your composer. If you call up there with a hot head, again, the owner might have a second opinion and tell you to take a hike.
thanks for the info. I agree. If i decide to head down there, I will definately keep my composure. but are they held liable for anything? do I have any grounds for a bad diagnosis? or is it just a courtesy if they do anything?

Old 02-17-2014 | 04:17 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Try to get them to to do the balljoints parts only, no labor charge

Old 02-17-2014 | 04:39 PM
|
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by newguy
Try to get them to to do the balljoints parts only, no labor charge
do you think that they would agree? they did screw me pretty good in my opinion. I was driving snow-covered mountain roads for ten hours, and if my ball joint(s) failed, i most definately would have been in serious danger.

Old 02-17-2014 | 10:20 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Ball joints labor for the price paid already. With ball joints that bad it put undue ware on your new tires. If things go badly keep a copy of Bureau of Automotive Repair complaint form in your hand
Oh by the way did your labor cost include alignment?

Old 02-21-2014 | 12:33 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

sounds like the new guy checked out your truck. all vehicles are different, some you can just grab the bottom and top of tires and push, others you cant. some yu have to pry up on them others you have to pry down so he may have just did the wheel shake trick and seen no movement and thought they were fine

Old 02-21-2014 | 04:34 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

I changed my ball joints and front bearings. Re-set t-bars to stock height. Then I took it for tires and alignment, they couldn't keep me out of the shop area while they worked on it. If they missed something and you drove off with poor steering, shame on you. Keep a eye on your truck when it's in their hands, and double check their work. It could save your life. If it was my shop I'd give you a free oil change if you paid me to do your ball joints. And top off your washer fluid!

Old 02-24-2014 | 01:31 PM
|

Originally Posted by 10-78 edac
I changed my ball joints and front bearings. Re-set t-bars to stock height. Then I took it for tires and alignment, they couldn't keep me out of the shop area while they worked on it. If they missed something and you drove off with poor steering, shame on you. Keep a eye on your truck when it's in their hands, and double check their work. It could save your life. If it was my shop I'd give you a free oil change if you paid me to do your ball joints. And top off your washer fluid!
. I don't believe "if they missed something andyou drove off with bad steering shame on you.." is the proper thing to tell a customer who paid for diagnostics, when I could and did do the same test with the tire both on and off. Believe me when I say it was an easy problem to figure out, because it was so loose. In Canada where I live, most large auto shops/lube shops/tire shops etc. Will NOT allow a customer to be present when work is being performed for the simple fact that their insurance will not cover customers in the shop due to many high-profile lawsuits. So all I can do is ask them multiple questions, and trust that what they are paid to do is what they will do. As a fellow trade apprentice, I will not endanger myself or others, or perform shoddy work when my journeyman is not around, just for the sake of a paycheque. The other thing is that the owner of the shop personally looked it over and changed my mind on what I had originally came in for. For them to do that I would assume they would be very confident on wat they were talking about .

Old 02-26-2014 | 08:13 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by karlawson
. I don't believe "if they missed something andyou drove off with bad steering shame on you.." is the proper thing to tell a customer who paid for diagnostics, when I could and did do the same test with the tire both on and off. Believe me when I say it was an easy problem to figure out, because it was so loose. In Canada where I live, most large auto shops/lube shops/tire shops etc. Will NOT allow a customer to be present when work is being performed for the simple fact that their insurance will not cover customers in the shop due to many high-profile lawsuits. So all I can do is ask them multiple questions, and trust that what they are paid to do is what they will do. As a fellow trade apprentice, I will not endanger myself or others, or perform shoddy work when my journeyman is not around, just for the sake of a paycheque. The other thing is that the owner of the shop personally looked it over and changed my mind on what I had originally came in for. For them to do that I would assume they would be very confident on wat they were talking about .

They always tell me I can't go in the shop for insurance reasons, but I'm in there anyway. Once they filled my washer fluid with anti freeze, when I went to wash the windshield it smeared all over. They said they were sorry. I'll never let strangers work on my vehicles without me checking. I've had idiots pull my van out of the service door and turn so it caved in the rear sliding door. I trust my mechanics but they know I'm gonna look over their shoulder and double check every time.