Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Failure of after market hub (not what you'd expect)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:47 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road
Default Failure of after market hub (not what you'd expect)

OK OK. First thing before you say it. I KNOW! You get what you pay for.

Anyway. About 6 months ago I bought a bearing hub for the 95 Jimmy off Ebay. From the beginning I had a feeling it was going to be trouble. First off, it turns out the hub I took off wasn't bad (good thing I saved it. It turns out the rattle I was having was something else. (Another long story). So when the hub came and I put it in I noticed a scraping sound. It turns out it was just a fraction of an inch too close. The rotor was rubbing on the splash guard. It was just a slight rub just on the inside corner of the rotor, nowhere near the friction surface. So I told the wife to ignore it it would eventually go away. And it did after rubbing a small pinhole in the splash guard. No biggie. I've seen northern salt rust do worse on other cars.

Anyway. So for the past few weeks I've been noticing a growing grinding noise coming from the same side I put the new hub on. I checked it yesterday and couldn't find it. But today I actually took the tire off and checked it. I knew it was the hub making the noise but couldn't find why. It seemed when I had it on weight I could hear it but when I jacked it up and rolled the tire it was gone. So I took it off and put the old one back on (Problem gone. When I closely inspected the new hub I could see the ring that has the ridges for the ABS sensor was no longer in round. You know as well as I do how the brakes were underdesigned for the Blazers/Jimmys and how they get hot. Well it turns out the heat warped the ring that has the ridges on it. The ring isn't nearly as thick and robust as the ring on the original. It is simply a pressed ring of rounded ridges instead of the formed ring of square ridges. I had completely cleaned that side when I put the new rotor on and now the sensor was completely covered with magnetic shavings. Either way Old hub back in, problem solved. Now I need to find the paperwork frmo that sale. I'm not sure if it was a year warranty or a lifetime but something like this will be covered to get my $$$$ back.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:24 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Good luck but I think you are just gonna have to eat the cost of the ebay part. At least you now know not to buy certain parts "sight unseen".