General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

I hate repairs I don't expect

Old 01-13-2012, 09:26 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road
Default I hate repairs I don't expect

I've been on here for a while. I've worked through many big issues with my Jimmy. But I really HATE dealing with repairs over and over. And I mean the SAME DAMN REPAIR. Now my 95 had 243k miles. So when the radiator hose ruptured last week I wasn't upset or suprised. And replacing the upper plennum gasket, since all the times I took the plenum off, again no suprise. But seriously. I bought my truck in 2009. Took it immediately on a run to NY in Jan. Had to replace the egr valve. just about 1 year later the damn thing broke in half. So i was strapped for cash and got a replacement from pick a part. Worked fine. Truck had some issues and I thought it was the egr so I went ahead and bought a brand new one sometime last june. Well. This past week it started acting wonky. Turns out it was two problems. Get to the second in a minute. Fixed the other problem but it was still idling rough. Had good fuel but was getting a code. Previosly I was getting the evap incorrect flow 0401 code. Fixed that. But today I found an egr pintle position circuit code. So I pulled the old pic a part egr (i had saved it just in case) sure enough. Put it in and she started up fine.

Now shortly after buying the truck I found the fuel pump was going. So I went on Ebay and got another one. It was ok for a couple months but didn't seem to work right. turned out the problem was a bad fuel pressure regulator, not the pump. Got the fpr replace but still had an issue. So put the old pump back in. Sure enough. ran smooth again. Well that pump failed finally this past october. I so took the ebay pump and put that in. also with a new strainer. That one ran wonky from the moment I put it in. It totally gave out two days ago. no high pitched whine when I turned it on. So had to go to Oreilleys and get a new pump. At least the old egr worked and didn't soak me with two repairs at once. Of course when it gave out I had 3/4 of a tank of gas with noway of getting it out. And it was cold so didn't want to waste too much time so wrestled with it and got it down to replace the pump.

Long story short. I don't mind brake shoes. tires, ball joints. but things like that egr and the fuel pump. Damn they should last longer than 1 year. I mean I still need a new rotor and my battery is getting weak so that is gonna need replacing soon. It never ends

Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 PM

Oh yea, I was considering cutting the hole in the floorboard to access the fuel pump. No go. On mine there is the bolt for the center seat belt mount that is in the way. If I cut the hole and leave the bolt I won't be able to get the pump out anyhow. And with the kids I need that belt.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

I know how that is...I had my LIM gasket go and a month after that my trans kicked the bucket. Still payin for the trans...

Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Get an AC Delco fuel pump or a Delphi and you wont have those problems, with the fuel pump anyways

Old 01-14-2012, 12:13 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

^^^yep. ac delco and delphi brand pumps in these. fuel pumps is something you cant cheap out on.

I did it myself......4 or 5 times within 6 months...Last one I put in was a ac delco,no issues since.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Beginning Member
Becca is on a distinguished road

I hate the fuel pumps in these things. We replaced mine right after I got my Z and it lasted less than a year. When we replaced the replacement, we went through 4 new Delphi pumps before getting one that wasn't already broken right out of the box. We finally got one that was good and I'm hoping it will last awhile.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:34 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

delphi? crazy. must have been a bad batch,they usually are pretty darn good.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:26 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to my world.

No, it really isn't that bad as I bought mine new and it is now 11 years old with 210K miles on it.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 PM

I got the Delphi. The EGR gave me problems again. I put the old one back in. It went wonky. Turns out there was a chunk of carbon ineach of them. Once I cleaned the newer one out and put it back in the truck finally ran great. But the pump is running great. Good 58 psi. And if anything happens I can get to it easier now. Just need to seal the hole now. Gonna find something like muffler tape or that stuff that was on the body panel already. Really strong stuff.