Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

frame bushung removal - my dumb questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009 | 06:21 PM
|
Beginning Member
rdlyn is on a distinguished road
Default frame bushung removal - my dumb questions

Hi.
Planning on upgrading the frame mounts to poly. I've neverdone it before and the box from ES says that I should maybe have it done by a pro. I'm not stubborn, I am cheap, but most of all I want to learn, and for me having some other guy do it defeats that purpose. I'm hoping some of you more experiences users can give me advice on the two main questions I have.
First, alldata tells me that I need to LOWER the side that I'm working on. I don't have a hoist, but I have 2 good floor jacks and 4 stands. What are they talking about, and how far should I lower the one side? I'm thinking that just taking off the 2 tires on a side and lowering it onto some stands may be enough, but am I off track here?
Second, I have an oxy-acetylene kit with no tanks (but I think I can borrow a buddy's if I comp him a refill), and I also have a bernzomatic mapp-oxy torch (that's ready to go). Will the torch be good enough to burn out the rubber, or is the oxy-a better? And I'm guessing I'll need to get every last trace of rubber out of those shells before I put the new polys on, right?
Anyway, those are the two issues I have. I searched for poly bushings, rubber busings, mounts, etc but I couldn't find something specific for this or a forum version of a how-to. Any advice you have is welcome and appreciated, along with any other tips from your own experience.
Thanks again!!

Old 09-20-2009 | 06:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

when i did the body lift i just jacked up one side of the truck at a time. took all the body mounts out of one side, and loosened them really good on the other side and just jacked the truck up on the body, installed and repeat for other side.

the worst problem is broken bolts. i did it on fullsize blazers and had 3 break off in the floor

Old 09-24-2009 | 08:44 PM
|
Beginning Member
rdlyn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip, abig. Makes sense. It's my daily driver so I'm hoping that I don't run into a bolt breaking off (or can better yet get some spares JIC before I start it. I'm gonna hit them a few times a day with some PB blaster for a good 3 or 4 days before I start it too. I hear those bolts are notoriously hard to get off. Any thoughts on getting the rubber out? Thanks again!!

Old 09-24-2009 | 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

well the problem i ran into on my fullsize blazer was not the actual bolt breaking but the head of the bolt spinning inside the carriage inside the floor. so i had to cut 3 holes in the floor to grab them. i dont know how s10s are set up, hopefully not the same way. in the back of the k5's if the bolts broke off you can just push them up through the top of the floor no problem