Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

front axle interchange

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 PM
roamer is on a distinguished road
Default front axle interchange

In all the 4x4 info here (there is lots) I have not read anywhere what years (2nd gen) have interchangeable front axles - I have 98 with front diff that will not move the engaging collar even by vise-grip - it has snap in cv shafts -- I also have 96 that appears ok - it has flanged cv shafts -- does anyone know if they have the same track at the wheel hub ?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just fix the problem rather than replace the entire front axle?

About the interchange... I believe that the change to slip in style CV axles also was accompanied by the hub assemblies with integrated ABS sensors. I do not recall anyone on here swapping them out, but that doesn't mean that they cannot be swapped out.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the quick response - actually I would prefer to fix the problem in place if I knew what to do - I thought swapping it would probably be easier. Correct me if I'm wrong - remove right side cv axle & separate right side axle tube to gain access to fork, collar, etc. ??

Old 12-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the CV shaft needs to be removed and then you can unbolt the passenger side extension tube.

This is what you should find inside:

Old 12-19-2010, 05:14 PM

Again - Thanks - found the track info - differs by 56mm - so swapping probably a poor option.
Appreciate the picture - would you have one to show the mating end of the extension ??

Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Starting Member
dpfab is on a distinguished road
Default front shafts not engaging

i too have a 96 blazer with the front shafts not engaging. is this a common problem? any advice you could give me would be helpful. and is this a fix that the average joe can fix+

Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Much thanks Swartlkk - problem was half of each tooth on the driven gear the collar engages in the right side axle extension was worn off from no vacuum release by t-case switch - and broken thrust washer behind the gear - replaced both - good to go 4x4. Thanks again.