Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front Diff Dosnt Lock IN

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM
5SPDZR2 is on a distinguished road
Default Front Diff Dosnt Lock IN

I know the vacume lines are good, actuator is good cable is good just the shaft and the outer gear wont lock in. They might just be frozen. Does anyone have a break down off the front diff before I tackle this thing this weekend?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a shot of all of the components laid out after the passenger side extension tube has been removed:

Old 02-14-2010, 12:38 PM
5SPDZR2 is on a distinguished road

So the only thing i have to remove is the extension tube to get to the collar? I was just reading about the upper ball joint in the way

Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at it?? You need to remove the CV shaft to get the passenger side extension tube out. It depends on your year as to what needs to be done to get the CV shaft out of there.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:19 PM
layz680 is on a distinguished road

i just did this one Saturday morning. i replaced the upper ball joint while i was in there. this is on a 98 4dr. 2 18mm bolts on the frame 5 15mm bolts on the transfer case. unhooking the upper ball joint gave me room to pull the cv shaft off the extension tube. unhook the cable at the actuator that will give you enuff room to unhook it at the shift fork collar its a spring lock deal. i found the gears in the extension tube had been drug over and keep it from locking in its held on the extension shaft with a snap ring. after i filed the teeth back down i test fit the collar ring just to be sure.

Attached Thumbnails Front Diff Dosnt Lock IN-p1010009.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Administrator

But if you have the bolt on flange style CV axle, it is much easier.