Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front Drive Shaft Rubbing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 PM
mbrjay is on a distinguished road
Default Front Drive Shaft Rubbing.

Ok so I know its down to the lift and tires but what can I do about it?

This pic shows where the rubbing is happening, obviously it only happens when the hubs are locked and engaged in 4WD.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

wow thats bad. I would think the only fix would be to have a driveshaft custom made for it, or find a way to lower the transfer case

Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could probably clearance the cross member by either heating it in that spot and beating it down or by notching it. Either would be acceptable. You would need to see just how far it goes when the front at full droop (wheels off the ground). If you can move that corner of the cross member by 1/2", you should have enough clearance.

Clocking the transfer case would require a lot more work.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 AM

i dont think hes rubbing on the cross member. It looks like the u-joint is binding

Old 11-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Binding will not cause a rub on the outside of the cardan joint like that. It definitely looks like it is hitting on the cross member when the suspension droops down.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 AM

yeah i think you right. I looked at it again and it has to be the cross member.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Yeah its the crossmember and yeah it only happens when the suspension droops. not all the time. You think i'll be able to notch it a little then?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Most definitely!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:33 AM

Haha awesome. Man I've got some stuff to do with this truck for the coming weeks.