Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front End Pop

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I've looked for aftermarket torsion bar mounts at several parts places and web sites and can't find anyone that has them... hate to go to the dealer... they probably want a fortune for them. They look very similar the the rear sway bar end links, but are considerably shorter. IIRC they mount to the frame and the crossmember. When they're bad, typically they pound like hell on the floor right below the seat when you go over bumps in the road. Just a thought, might want to check them.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Anyone look at the hub bearing assembly? I mean if you're turning & going forward & hear a pop, they'd be suspect to me.
Try doing it slow & have a friend stand beside the truck listening to one side then the other. At least that way you'll know what side it's from & possibly front or back etc.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Beginning Member
stokedboss is on a distinguished road

@Captain Hook; They don't seem to make noise going over bumps, just when turning. Could it still be the torsion bar mounts?
@Rottidog; how would you check the hub bearing assembly?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'd lift the front end, put it on blocks & look at the boots for grease leaking, make sure the metal band that holds the boot on is still there.
Rotate the tire listen & feel for any grinding or roughness. Try wiggling it & look for movement.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member
stokedboss is on a distinguished road

I took a look at the hub bearing assembly. The boots look pristine, all of the metal bands are in place, I grabbed the hub and rotated while pulling/pushing on it, and it didn't seem to make any abnormal noise. It all seems to be tight.