Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front end shake passed 60mph. New Tires, Ball joints, bushings, alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:37 PM
Chris Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Front end shake passed 60mph. New Tires, Ball joints, bushings, alignment

2000 Blazer LS 2D 4WD automatic

I've been to two different shops and two said my idler arm was bad and two didn't. Today I plan on jacking up the car and trying to look at the tie rod ends, idler arm and whatever else. One also said my pitarm was bad but others said it was ok and doesn't affect the suspension. That's a non issue right now if true.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best at cars and more of a techie guy but I've been learning a lot since I bought my blazer which I do love. It's always had this front end vibration it's gotten a lot better with the work I've done but it's still very annoying and I'm about to do a cross-country trip.

I've taking it to four shops two said the idler arm was bad and two said it was fine and no one can seem to sign the source of this vibration. The car is never been in an accident and the frame is not bent or anything but it feels like it's coming from the passenger side ,but you know how vibrations can be.

I just can't believe four highly rated shops in town can't agree or find the source of this it's just really strange. So I'm trying to take this into my own hands.

My suspension is pretty soft and I doubt that's the issue from what I've read but I'm just throwing that out there as well that I probably do need that but it's just a vibrating /shaking feeling like if you were on a ungrated dirt road. Steering wheel is vibrating ,the whole dash , and you can feel a little bit in the pedal and especially feels like the passenger side like I've stated

Thanks in Advance!

Old 07-23-2017, 07:52 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

if you want to check this stuff easily at home, just have a helper turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at each component. All joint should rotate but have zero play in them. Idler arm is very common to go bad on these.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it could be CV axles to me- do you hear clicking coming from the front when turning tight at low speed?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:06 PM

Thanks... I think it has to be the the wheel bearing/tie rod... there is a Clunking noise but would add tie rod end have that wobble and allow for that much play? Idler is fine, new Ball joints and aligned. The drivers side has no play and is solid.

Last edited by Chris Cooper; 07-23-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by chevyriders
Sounds like it could be CV axles to me- do you hear clicking coming from the front when turning tight at low speed?
No clunking at all

Old 07-24-2017, 05:23 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

What wheels are on the ride?

Wheels balanced?

Old 07-28-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck
if you want to check this stuff easily at home, just have a helper turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at each component. All joint should rotate but have zero play in them. Idler arm is very common to go bad on these.
It's hard to get under there my jack doesn't quite get the car high enough for the stands, I need to go buy a better. That being said it just got out of it's 4th shop. They all say the tie rods are fine, the pitman is fine (the first shop/tire store said it was bad, no one else) and said the wheel bearings are fine (still suspicious to me). I can literally look at the floorboard, door, etc and it vibrates unlike the drivers said. You can still see it on the dash, steering wheel and feel it a little in the gas obviously because vibrations travel.

Originally Posted by chevyriders
None of this at all.

Originally Posted by error_401
What wheels are on the ride?

Wheels balanced?
Brand new BF Goodriches balanced. Maybe 50 miles on them

The car IS better after idler arm, ball joints, bushings, new tires and alignment. It's still not even close to acceptable. Once I hit the 60/65 range it's better but still very annoying and I'm about to drive 2200 miles across country. I feel like all that vibrating will wear down other things excessively.

The shops I'm going to are rated well but maybe they don't know what they are doing or care enough? Maybe they are just going to the obvious things first and want me to keep bringing back. My money is as good as any but I can't turn this into a money pit.

I've learned a lot the last few weeks about the front end on this thing. What else fron the passenger side could be vibrating at high speeds?

Bearings?
tie rods?
Control arm bushings?
Pitman arm ?
Center link?
Off balance drivetrain?
warped rotors?
Wheels seem ok

I'm just lost.

I will test for the 9 to 3 play when I get home. I was emphatic with the last shop this was happening a clunkclunk clunkclunk clunkclunk subtle sound when moving 9 to 3.

Maybe my bearings are "acceptable" but just a little off when I hit those high speeds? I have no idea

Old 07-30-2017, 05:58 AM

Hmm - 5 cents more -

Ever tried if it is engine rpm related?
Drive-shafts come to my mind...

Last edited by error_401; 07-30-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by error_401
Hmm - 5 cents more -

Ever tried if it is engine rpm related?
Drive-shafts come to my mind...
Any good way to check this. The engine purrs like a baby so I really doubt it. I can feel it in the floor board, pedal, center console, steering wheel, both doors and dash.

It has seemed to "center out" after the work has been done. I'll do another 9 to 3 test since my idler arm has been done but i'm about to drive across the country tomorrow and all my possessions have been shipped.

I will update accordingly when I'm there. Is there any way to really test the drive shaft on my own or will I need a shop for that?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 AM

I had been thinking drive shafts. They can cause a vibration as well and would be tire speed related as they turn according to wheel speed.

Checking in different gears would have narrowed that down.

Glad that it starts working out.
I'll have a look at the service manual for the 1994 and will post back.