Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front suspension problems, grinding sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Beginning Member
Vovin is on a distinguished road
Default Front suspension problems, grinding sounds

Hey guys. I bought a Blazer a couple months ago, discovered numerous issues with it. Most issues were manageable or not a big deal, but I have already put a lot of money into the front end and it is still buggered. I really need some good advice here because I just maxed my credit card out and its really stressing me out.

It's a 1999 Chevy Blazer LS 4WD

So bought it about two months ago. Drove it for a few weeks back and forth to work. Took it on the highway and noticed that the wheel alignment was off. Noticed that the left wheel hub was probably bad (ABS line was cut) so brought it to a shop. This shop said the ball joints on both sides (front) were bad, so got them to replace the ball joints. Bought a left hub and buddy helped install it.

Brought it back into shop to align wheels and they said left ball joint was already loose (two weeks after installing), then said that it was because the rims were aftermarket rims with a bad offset. I ordered a new wheel hub for the right front side, and another buddy helped install it to even it out (like 3 days ago). Noticed rubbing noises on rare occasion when turning too far left.

Brought it back into shop today. Got ball joint replaced (for free under warranty) and got original rims installed back on. This was a problem because apparently my buddy torqued the lug nuts way to tight on the right side and they had to drill out and replace two splines on the new wheel hub. Got wheels aligned at a tire shop. This cost me a small fortune, on top of everything else so far.

Barely drove it around and immediately noticed an intermittant sound like the right wheel is possibly loose (that flapping sound like when something is stuck in the tire treads as it rolls on the ground). Left wheel also makes a similar sound but not nearly as bad and much rarer. I also noticed, much to my dismay, that I am now experiencing that loud grinding/rubbing sound after turning right. Keep in mind that this is the same wheel hub that the shop replaced splines on.

I'm pretty much tapped out of cash and I need this thing running. If all this is, is bad installation of the wheel hubs, how long can I drive like this before the hubs become damaged? I notice the breaks squeal alot too but I think that is because it's like 40*C here, but could this also be because we did not reinstall the breaks properly?

Any experienced advice is certainly welcome!

EDIT:

Also, I could really use some actual torque values here since I don't have a manual. Maybe we torqued it all wrong.

Last edited by Vovin; 07-09-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

2000 factory service manual specs. for bearing assembly. 3-hub flange bolts=77 ft. lbs. 1 axle nut=103 ft. lbs.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Beginning Member

Ok that helps. Also do you happen to know the correct torque pressure for lug nuts on the wheels?

Another thing, my mechanic buddy thinks I may have bad c/v joints. What are the symptoms of this?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Beginning Member

Actually I'm almost convinced I have a bad cv joint. Hopefully it's just the outer one and not the whole arm.

Any tutorials on how to replace it, preferably without affecting alignment?

Old 07-10-2015, 07:03 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty certain the lug nuts are around 95 foot pounds... There are some good threads about replacing cv joints and it really isn't hard to do, BUT I've always disassembled the front suspension to remove them... Obviously requiring an alignment afterward. I want to say that I read a post by someone claiming to have done it without but I cannot recall who it was, sorry...

Old 07-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member

It may not be a CV issue.

The problem has progressed significantly since yesterday. It's not really a clicking sounds as it is a flapping sound coming from the left wheel. Particularly bad on inclines and all left turns. It also feels tough turning to the left, like I'm fighting it. I got it home but it needs to be addressed before I drive more.

It must be something to do with the hub. We just put it on Monday but something must have happened to it at the shop yesterday when they had to drill out two splines on it due to over torqued lug nuts.

Somehow, though, it became unaligned right after the alignment yesterday. I didn't think the hub would affect that? Maybe the new right ball joint is screwed now too?