Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

greasing stock lower ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:03 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I went cheap on the lower balljoints. $30 Carquest store brand...they lasted a bit more than 25k miles (gotta check my maintenance sheet). Actually only the passenger side failed, and I just replaced it when I was doing the CV..drivers side is still going strong. But I do keep them greased.

And thats with the tbar crank

Last edited by WolfPack; 05-21-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:21 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WolfPack
I went cheap on the lower balljoints. $30 Carquest store brand...they lasted a bit more than 25k miles (gotta check my maintenance sheet). Actually only the passenger side failed, and I just replaced it when I was doing the CV..drivers side is still going strong. But I do keep them greased.

And thats with the tbar crank

Carquest may want those back to figure out why they still work.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WolfPack
But I do keep them greased.
That is the key. If they stay well lubricated, they can last. But many people do not lube their chassis like some parts require. The more frequent the service interval, the longer any part will last. It is just easier for some to use higher quality parts off the bat.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

ok!! i bought one of those needle adapters and stabbed it just inside the boot, pumped it till i saw the boot just start to expand, and it did absolutly nothing.

but i did notice a decent sized puddle of clearish brown liquid.....looked under neath and through the oil filter door and its pretty wet in there (skid plate, surrounding hoses and metal) im 90% sure its power steering fluid.

the steering feels fine....so does that rule out the pump itself? the pully should be turning well because my new H.O alternator made the stock belt incredibly tight, as in the tensioner pretty much points straight down :/ but thats a different issue...

i really dont even know what the pump looks like or where it is.....could this be whats causing this terrible sound when i turn the wheel? like if the system had a kink....or something...i would feel it in the steering wheel would i not?

im guessing its just leaking hoses....but im not really even sure what to look at....

i guess what im looking for is the power steering a possible cause for the "EEEEERRREEEEEEE!!!!!!!!" when im stationary moving the wheels.....

Old 05-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It could be that your pump is going...

Old 05-21-2009, 07:48 PM
BF Veteran

would the grease work into the ball joint? or is it really sealed and such?

is that all i do is just stab it in and pump?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Administrator

If the screeching is coming from the power steering pump, the pump is likely low on fluid or has some internal troubles.

I doubt you did anything wrong with the grease gun on the ball joint.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran

also maybe im "jus trippin" but my caster/camber looks off on that tire as well, just from eyeing it, cranked all the way to one side looked off, to me anyway.....

Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran

Pictures of my lower ball joint, no nipple!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I thought stock was riveted? Looks like a cheap replacement thats not greaseable. I know at Carquest I had the option to get the grease-able vs nongrease-able, with a bit of a price difference between the two..

Quick Reply: greasing stock lower ball joint