Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Grinding noise during end of quick braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:32 PM
havrelm1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grinding noise during end of quick braking

I know it's not the ABS because the brake pedal doesn't vibrate. When coming to a quick stop, when the brake pedal is pushed down hard, but not locking up the wheels, there is a grinding/vibration noise and you can feel it in the whole vehicle. I had it up on a lift a couple weeks ago, we didn't see anything besides somedry bushings and a little play in the control arms due to dry shrunken bushings up top, still have about 30% pad life left all around, which do need to be replaced, but I'd like to figure this out first. I'vw had the blazer for over a month and haven't noticed this until monday night after I drove through a pretty deep flood in my work parking lot which was probably 1/2 the tire height if that has anything to do with it I don't know.

any suggestions or pics of certain areas needed?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Grinding noise during end of quick braking

So your previous thread, ABS kicks on towards the end of quick, no hard, stops, has nothing to do with this... It is generally advisable not to create threads on similar issues you are having. This is a form of double posting and as such I will be locking the previous thread.

Now onto your problem, if it is towards the end of quick stops, then it is possible that you are having pad chatter after they get hot from the quick braking. I would check your slider pins as well as the rails/shims that the pads slide on.

Also, please put your vehicle information in your signature and attach it to your posts. It'll allow us to better deliver accurate information for your specific vehicle.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

That's what would happen to mine after the ABS speed sensor wire got severed the second time. For some reason it only happened when I was already going slow and braking. It too only happened at the very end of a stop, made me leave some extra space when parking because it wouldn't stop right away and the ABS would kick in (like it does when sliding on ice or hard-packed snow). Wasn't so much a grinding noise but I could definitely feel it in the whole truck.

Now that my wire is completely cut, it doesn't do it at slow speeds anymore, I just don't have ABS. If I were to slam on the brakes right now, I would lock 'em up. Check your sensor wires. Do a search for "ABS Sensor" and see what ya get. Also, your actual sensors may be dirty. Go through the threads after your search and see if you can find one that deals with cleaning the actual sensors.

Let us know how you made out.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member
ESKYMOPACK is an unknown quantity at this point

Swartlk,

I just got in an accident with a '95 Jimmy SLE when I couldn't come to a complete stop at an icy intersection and slightly hit into a '95 Saturn plasticmobile and totaled out her car. When police arrived, we noticed there were no slide marks at the intersection, yet it felt like the pedal didn't want to totally engage the brakes once the ABS took over (which was immediately). So basically, I knew the conditions were bad, so I started to brake early, yet the ABS went on but wasn't completely braking the system.

I had only driven the vehicle for about 5 days B4 this happened, and I thought this ABS system wasn't working correctly, but I found out the hard way. So after inspecting the vehicle's brake system, which turned out fine, I looked in recalls and found a couple interesting recalls. I am in contact with GM and they are discussing the problem I had and will call me backina few days.

Badically, the recall's (theres 2) states that there's problems in the system. One of them is an actual recall, and the other is a safety fix. I just don't understand how a problem system like this is not a full blown recall, tha should be fixed by the manufacturer. One of the problems it states, is that the ABS computor has to be reprogrammed. Well if that isn't admitting a safety problem, I guess I don't know what is.

Recalls for 1995 ABS Problems:https://blazerforum.com/recalls-and-...995/Recall.htm

Old 01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The first step would be to contact a dealer to see if the recalls have been performed. If they have been performed, then I don't know what else they will do for you. If the recalls have not been performed, I am still skeptical as to if GM will do anything for you other than perform the recalls. Reason being, it is the lack of participation by who ever owned the vehicle in 2000 when owner notification went out. Sucks, but true...

Basically all ABS systems increase the stopping distance on low traction surfaces as compared with high traction surfaces. That stopping distance is highly dependant on the surface you are driving on. Each system operates differently as well.

I reviewed the recalls as well as some further research. It seems that the original ABS systems as supplied were recalled because they could be improved. Neither of these recalls were full blown safety recalls because the system did still stop in less distance than if the system were not involved. As a result, I do not believe that they will help you in your troubles. Sorry...

Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Beginning Member

Swartlkk,

I contacted the GM hotline for this recall and explained to them that my only interest is fixing the ABS system and getting more info on it. I have been fooled by independent dealerships in the past about recalls and their knowledge of recalls and whose responsible for what. So, I'm trying to find out from GM what can be done and where responsibilitieslie.I explained to them that I am not looking to sue anyone for the mishap. I live in Michigan (aNo-Fault ins. state) and I didn't have full coverage on mine nor did the 16 year old that I hit. I replaced her parts with used parts (same colors) because her parentswere offering to do the labor, even though I could've walked away. Cost me $725 for a complete door, fr. fender and side v. mirror, and about $500 in front end parts for my Jimmy.

I am anindependent dealer and have been driving all different vehicles for the last 23 years and I can tell you that this sytem has a problem, and all I had asked of GM was what needs to be done to get it corrected and if it can be covered under the recall B4 contacting our local GM dealership. Over the years I've had recall letters for a variety of different vehicleswhere our local dealerships didn't do the repairs either correctly or didn't follow the monetary responsibility correctly. I'm just taking the best route to end this issue instead of having my local GM dealer tell me it's not covered, and if I want to get it fixed, it's going to cost me an arm and leg.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:29 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

Campaign Number:97V218000 Date:1997-Nov-24

Component:[/b]Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Foundation Components: Hoses, Lines/piping, And Fittings Defect Summary:[/b]VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: LIGHT DUTY PICKUP TRUCKS AND MULTI-PURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLES. A FATIGUE FRACTURE OF THE REAR AXLE RIGHT-HAND BRAKE PIPE CAN OCCUR CAUSING A SLOW BRAKE FLUID LEAK RESULTING IN A SOFT BRAKE PEDAL. IF THE BRAKE PIPE BREAKS, THE DRIVER WOULD EXPERIENCE A SUDDEN DROP IN THE BRAKE PEDAL, THE INSTRUMENT PANEL BRAKE LIGHT WOULD ILLUMINATE, AND THERE WOULD BE A LOSS OF REAR BRAKE PERFORMANCE. Consequence Summary:[/b]PARTIAL LOSS OF BRAKING AT A TIME WHEN MINIMUM STOPPING DISTANCE WAS REQUIRED COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH. Corrective Summary:[/b]DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE BRAKE PIPE.

This is the only thing I found referring to brakes on a 98 Blazer. Not mention of ABS at all.

You should be able to call any Chevy dealer, give them the VIN, and they can tell you what open campaigns apply to your truck. It's all computerized, type in the vin, hit the enter key, it spits out the info.

You may also want to ask them about technical service bulletins:

020525006A ABS Activation at Low Speeds.

That was all I could find.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for your efforts Hey You, but my Jimmy is a 1995.

I found these (2) recalls for the 1995 Chevy Blazer andI thought they may apply. Anyone have this same problem???

https://blazerforum.com/recalls-and-...297/Recall.htm

Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

ESKY, I think the difficulty is that you have hijacked this thread... Your problem has nothing to do with the original topic of this thread aside from dealing with the braking system. I did not realize this in the beginning. If you wish to continue this topic, please create a new thread starting from the beginning. However, please be aware that you may not like some of the responses you garner.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Beginning Member

SWARTLK,
I'M SORRY IFI CAME ACROSS AS ANYTHING BUT DESPARATE!

I have searched these threads to find similar topics for my problems with the "search" button to no avail. Try to read through hundreds of topics to find a match? Yeah, been there done that!

GM called me back and stated theres nothing they can do for me. I thought my post was related....and so I thought it had merit seeing it's the same generation 1 style vehicle and we may have similar problems or similar recalls.

So my next step was to bring it to a former employee that works as a mechanic at a GM Dealership. They found 5!!! recalls and were going to do all the work. One of those recalls was the 4wd sensor on the transfer case that relates back to the ABS, and they figured that was the problem. 5 RECALLS! I guess calling GM is for the birds since they stated I was S.O.L.