Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

HELP! 4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Beginning Member
jojocarreno is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! 4x4 problem

I did the ghetto electric to manual 4x4 and now it seems my transmission is slipping. Could I of did something wrong like have the peg in the wrong position to cause this? If not maybe its just a coincidence. Please let me know soon.... I might be stuck at work.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to be more specific as to what the symptoms you are experiencing are... Does it feel like the transfer case might be in neutral? Will the vehicle move at all? Have you tried shifting the transfer case?

What, specifically, did you do during your "ghetto electric to manual 4x4" conversion? What did you do with the 4LO wire to the PCM during this conversion?

Also, please do not call out a specific member in the title of the thread as doing so is prohibited by the rules of the forum and would serve to restrict replies... For instance, I won't be around after this reply due to other things I have to get done today and I won't be home until after 9PM EST... Someone else will need to pick up after this to respond if you still need help.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

My apologies, I should read the rules again, it's been awhile. I won't do that again. Its just I am stuck at work.

The truck is moving. The truck is going up over 4-5 rpms before shifting into gear. I did not remove the whole wiring harness. I think I misunderstood that part in your instructions. I will remove the wiring harnsess and disconnect it from the pcm. Hope it works.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to forgive me, but where are the instructions you are referring to? A link perhaps?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Beginning Member

In the Mechanical & Maintenance part under Tech Articles (DIY). Ghetto Electric to Manual 4x4, it had your name on it. I'm just gonna bring it to the shop. I'm afraid I did something wrong. I think I took to many plugs off that were on the transfer case. Well thats a good question. Could taken off certian plugs the transfer case cause my transmission to not switch out of 1st gear? Thats what its doing. Last time I drove it, the truck would just rpm up real high and wouldn't switch into 2nd gear. Also the transfer case seems to be radling and knocking.
Oh I took off the transfer case encoder motor removed all the plugs off the transfer case and unplugged the transfer case control module (under the glove compartment). Maybe I took off too much?

Last edited by jojocarreno; 06-15-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: forgot more details
Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Administrator

I merely posted in that thread, I did not write it nor do I think it covers everything completely.

Which truck did you do this to? How many buttons were on the 4wd switch? What did you do with the wiring?

Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Beginning Member

Oh, I'm sorry I thought you wrote it. I thought since your the administrator, I think that what it says by your name. I found out why it was not shifting. My catylic converter and muffler was plugged. Truck now shifts. Thanks