Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

how to figure out gear ratio for front axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM
cannibal440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to figure out gear ratio for front axle

i have a 93 oldsmobile bravada and i need to replace the axle assembly. anyone got any pointers on where that information is located? it should be identical to the gearing in the rear end right?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: how to figure out gear ratio for front axle

You should find an RPO code list on the inside of your glove box door. There will be a code that defines the axle ratio. Use this thread --> RPO decoder to decode the 3 character RPO codes.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 AM
cannibal440 is an unknown quantity at this point

that sticker was gone. guy at the salvage yard said its somewhere in the back as well.

i looked on the original window sticker from the dealer and it says RR 3.73
i need the front assembly.
3.73would be correct right?

by the way is there anything i can do to check the new part before i install it?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the original window sticker is for that vehicle, then yes. 3.73 is a viable ratio for your truck. If you wanted to know closer, you could lift the vehicle off the ground and support it on jack stands (if AWD, you will need all 4 wheels off the ground). Remove the rear wheels and mark the brake drum and the axle for a reference point. Also mark the driveshaft and the front of the differential at 90* increments (basically make marks on the front of the differential housing at each of the u-joint cups, but only mark one u-joint cup). With the transmission in neutral, rotate the driveshaft, keeping track of the number of rotations of the driveshaft for 1 revolution of the axle. If it truely is a 3.73:1 ratio, you should rotate the driveshaft 3.73 times for every 1 revolution of the wheel. This is also assuming that both rear tires turn when you turn the driveshaft.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Yes, your front gears will be the same as your rear gears.