Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

How Hard would it be to change leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Beginning Member
rubeninfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Hard would it be to change leaf springs?

I've read all the posts on here I could find about leaf springs but I'm still a bit uncertain. I have a 98 four door and my drivers side rear is a full 3" lower than the passenger side rear. I had a local "backyard" mechanic look at it and he said I need new leaf springs. Both the rear ones and he also recommended the drivers side front. He said he'd charge me $150 if I bought the parts. I'm not really sure what parts I need. I'm assuming just four leaf springs? Also, I've read on some posts that it's just a matter of getting the car in the air and loosening 2 bolts, swapping out the spring, and putting the two bolts back on. Is it really that easy? If it is, maybe I can do it myself. I'm pretty mechanical...I've just never done leaf springs before....I mean, I've change alternators, water pumps, power window regulators...simple stuff.

Can anyone kind of enlighten me on this? I just want to keep the stock height...not raise it or anything. Just want to get the two sides even again so people stop starring....and so I don't end up doing more damage to the car.

Thanks!!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your truck is 4wd, the front does not have leaf springs, but torsion bars. I would correct the back first, then see if the front levels out. If it does not just from changing the rear springs, then crank the torsion bar adjusting bolt in to level it out. If that does not work, then new torsion bars (both) up front are needed.

For the rear, the leaf springs are fairly easy to replace provided that the fasteners come apart properly. If it were me, I would have all new bolts (u-bolts and leaf spring to frame attaching bolts) before any attempt is made to replace the leafs.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Beginning Member

oh, forgot to mention it is NOT 4x4. Thanks for the quick response, but is it really as easy as getting the car up in the air, undoing to bolts, swapping out the spring, and putting the bolts back on?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, pretty much.

Since you are a 2wd, you will have coil springs in the front. No way to adjust them (safely IMO), but still start out back and see how it looks after that is complete.

And yeah, if everything comes apart appropriately, it is as easy as getting it up in the air and unbolting things. Reassemble reverse of disassembly.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

It's not rocket science... just be sure to have a good floor jack and jack stands. You will need metric tools.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Check to make sure that the replacement springs include the bushings. If not you will have to purchase bushings and have them pressed in.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member

okay, I've found some good pictures on line and it doesn't look too tough. But man those things are expensive at the dealership. I found this online: http://www.carparts.com/ALLOY-STEEL-...2329_10618.car
would you guys say this is what I need? I think these are the stock height and won't lower or raise the blazer.
I've got access to a good floor jack and I have some stands. I'm just trying to find the best price I can on these so that I don't have to go buy used from the pick-a-part place :-)

Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Looks like the right springs to me, and they do include the bushings. When you remove the springs make sure you have a jack under the axle for support once you disconnect the spring from the axle. I recently changed the spring/schackle bushings and the removal and installation of the springs was very straigt forward. An Impact gun makes removing the bolts easier. Hand tools should work as well. You might want to inspect the shackle bushings but be warned that this is a very difficult bushing to remove. There is no clearance to work and the bushings are flanged on one side and flared on the back side. I ended up paying a shop to do the job for flat rate labor. They had to pull the gas tank and used every destructive tool in the shop to coax the old bushing out of the frame.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by mr.vls
When you remove the springs make sure you have a jack under the axle for support once you disconnect the spring from the axle.
Are you saying that I jack up the car with the Jack under the axle? or do I put the jack under the differential and put a stand under the axle?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member

FYI, here is the post I found on another forum showing really good pictures of what changing leaf springs involves: http://www.offroadrangers.com/forum/...ad.php?t=30135

Quick Reply: How Hard would it be to change leaf springs?