Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Hub bearings on 96 LS

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Spacemanspiff is on a distinguished road
Default Hub bearings on 96 LS

I'm new (so be gentle please.)

I did look extensively (as suggested by staff) before posting this and have found numerous informative threads but not one that specifically answers a question I have.

I'm preparing to put back together my right front hub setup on my 96 LS. I'm waiting for a knuckle to CV joint seal that will be here tomorrow. I had to replace the steering knucle as well. Now I was able to get a complete hub assembly (inclusive of the knuckle) from my local wrecker and I have noted on the forums that the bearings are factory sealed. I also noted on the one I have (it appears) the bearing seal can be removed? Is it possible to do this and grease the bearings in the hub and replace with an aftermarket hub grease seal or am I better off leaving well enough alone?

Perhaps these bearings wouldn't go as often if one was able to do maintenance on them?

Thanks in advance peoples.

Last edited by Spacemanspiff; 09-25-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have trouble getting it sealed back up as well as it is from the factory so I would recommend leaving it alone. A well greased bearing that isn't sealed is worse than a sealed bearing with factory grease in my opinion.

If you are planning on installing a used front hub/bearing assembly, I would check it over really well before installing it. You may find yourself doing the same repair again in short order.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Spacemanspiff is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the response sir. It appears to be tight and moves freely and with what you have said here I'll just leave well enough alone. I know I'm bucking the odds putting a used assembly in but it was easier than I expected to do what I have done and I actually enjoyed the experience. "Colour me ill." I'm prepared to change it up again (in short order) if the need arises.

Keep your fingers crossed for me will ya?

Cheers.