2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hub assemblies/bearings, pads and ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hub assemblies/bearings, pads and ???

Hi all,

Planning on doing some hub assemblies here ... not sure which yet, at one point I thought I was hearing driver's side-front ... now it could be driver's-side rear, or both ...

Going to do pads on whichever sets of wheels I end up having to remove.

Planning on taking a look at things when I do an oil change this week. Going to look at ball joints and tie rods while I'm under there, verifying which bearings are shot.

I also have O2 sensors throwing codes ... are these worth trying to do myself, or are they going to be tough without a lift and lots of heat?

Anything else I should plan on doing in those areas while I'm in there? Anything else I should be checking or looking at?

Thanks!

--ab

Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

while you have that caliper off pull the rubber boots off the pins the caliper bolts go into, pull the pins out and clean and grease those pins if they're not frozen already.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If you change out pads, make sure you do it to the other side. Always do the same to the other side when doing anything with brakes. Front to rear doesn't matter so much but side to side does.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As stated, brakes should be serviced on a per axle basis so regardless of which side you replace the bearing/hub assembly on, service the brakes on both sides (of the front in this case).

If you have a noisy bearing assembly, see if the noise changes when you steer right or left. If it gets worse when steering left, and better when steering right, the problem is most likely the right wheel bearing assembly.

Concerning the O2 sensor, it really depends on the code. For some O2 sensor problems, the presence of a code does not mean that the sensor itself is bad. Let us know what the code is (Pxxxx) and we will try to help you on that front.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply all. Like I said, sets of wheels -- does my name say "Jebediah"? does my sig say anything about a gun rack? a washer on my front lawn? definitely both sides of the set. I probably worded that poorly.

I'm hearing a slight clicking at low speeds ... more of a tinkle than a click ... doesn't sound like the CV problems I've heard before, but I guess I'll have to check the boots and see how the shafts look. How difficult is R&R on these things? Only done them on FWD vehicles previously ...

I'll have to check for that bearing warble while turning ... I definitely hear it at low speeds now (had only heard it on the highway until 2 weeks ago), but I'm not sure if it makes more noise when I turn or not, I'll check it out tonight or tomorrow.

I'll get those codes as well.