Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

I think something's broken in my front diff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road
Default I think something's broken in my front diff?

Well... I was getting ready to put in a new pass. side cv axle only to find out that when I pull the cv axle out of the diff tube. The axle inside is stuck in the cv axle. And of course I'm taking the cv axle out without taking the balljoint apart. So I can't try and pull it out completly. What would be an educated guess on what's wrong? My wife drove about 10miles in 4lo on dry pavement last year(long story. LOL!) but I thought... somehow nothings broke. Well apparently I was wrong. The oil does look pretty brown and looks to have fine metal in it (just from what was dripping out of the tube.
I can sign on tho "motoralldata" But I can't get a clear understanding of how the whole front axle is put together. It'd be nice if I can just rebuild something for cheap(my first child is due next month).

Old 01-06-2012, 09:20 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

That happened to me too when i did some work on my front axle tubes...i dont believe it really is an issue..the splined shaft is stuck on your cv shaft. I didnt bother with mine i just put it back together like that amd it has worked fine...i have other 4x issue but its not connectes to that.

I may be corrected but i think you need to "massage" the two pieces apart.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...d-38087/page3/

that link describes what i think you are talking about...also how to go about treating it.
hope that helps.

Others will chime in.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 01-06-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: link added
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

Well, You were right. Nothing was broken. Luckily I got both ball joints apart with a prybar without tearing up the rubber boots(I know... they make a tool for that). But that axle was really stuck on that cv axle! I didn't think I was going to get it off. But I did, and it's all back together now. It's hard telling how long that inner axle was loose and not connected in the housing. I've had a bad clunk/rattle everytime I hit a bump for the last 6-months. Now all I hear when I hit a bump is all my dash and interior rattling LOL!
I think I caused the problem though. When I first put the 31's on my blazer I cranked up the t-bars on the front. I might have went alittle too high for a truck with 200,000 miles. My drivers side cv axle actually broke a boot and seperated mid summer. And I think instead for breaking the pass. side it just pulled that inner axle out of the ring and pinion. Now I still have to replace my steering box. And it should drive like a new truck again. It's that and the two wheel bearings and it will all be new in the front. So it better drive like new.
Thanks, Warthogdriver

Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM
davidjdrake is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue, this sounds crazy but it was caused by my hood missing a bent washer.