Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

I want to Ride on a cloud

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Beginning Member
NHRABill is on a distinguished road

Because you don't know me I am somewhat sarcastic and always write in good fun so please take my posts not too serious.

I have been looking at the Ranchos and many others and taking all of your feedback sarcastic or not I hear what you are saying.

Guess I should have better explained myself.

I paid $1,500 for the ZR2 yup wasn't looking to invest much back into it other than maintenance and some of my own sweat. I ordered a set of 1.5" lift shackles should level me out fine.

As I said, I would like a smooth ride and I am not sure if the Billstiens I have are any good or maybe they are just that bad that they ride like I am on a Hard tail Harley. If they had any life on them they should not be like that. I got rid of a 95 Tahoe (towing package) that I finished rebuilding prior to this truck so I know a rough torsion bar ride ride. Thing is city driving Trenton and New Brunswick, NJ if you ever been, is that there are road patches that can eat a smart car, never mind a true pothole that landed my 4 year olds snack in the rear hatch after hitting a bump. (She was not happy with Daddy)

I am not an off road guy NJ beaches, the woods many years ago and a few trips along OBX to reach a rented beach house hardly make me hard core. My ZR2 was a great buy I dig the look I like to scare people in their Mercedes and Porsche's from trying to cut me off in stop and go traffic and the ZR2 does the trick. Going to work is not something you do here, it is can I avoid contact today? so a Basic set of Shocks and not being too cheap here will be fine with me monotubes are fine I am not cutting corners or racing on a SCCA track so body roll and a little sway are okay by me if it means I won't have a wife and 4 year old yelling at me.

As you may have guessed i like to buy something that is on its way to the scrap heap build it back on the cheap make it all that it should be and sell it for a 0zero loss maybe a couple dollar and a lot of fun gain. This ZR2 will fit that spot for the next couple years.

Thanks again for the advice

you all have fun Icons here

Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I just can understand someone that buys a vehicle that is primarily built for off road and then complains about the ride on road.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
I just can understand someone that buys a vehicle that is primarily built for off road and then complains about the ride on road.
Not a complaint, truck has over 185,000 miles on Stock shocks. Looking for a cheaper alternative to the Billstien's that have a smooth ride that is all. I drive a couple streets that can rival most off road parks and they are more dangerous to boot with the gun fire and bullets flying and all. So if I need to jump a curb and floor it down a sidewalk I hope I have a smooth landing as I try and avoid the crossfire is it sad that I am only sort of kidding here?

I am not knocking the truck I love the truck I better, just did the heater core last weekend I now have an intimate relationship with my ZR2. That was the automotive equivalent of a rectal exam rubber gloves and all.

I do know it is a truck, I understand its purpose, just looking for suggestions on a soft shock and not a performance cornering one at a price that is not 25% of my initial investment.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by NHRABill
Not a complaint, truck has over 185,000 miles on Stock shocks. Looking for a cheaper alternative to the Billstien's that have a smooth ride that is all. I drive a couple streets that can rival most off road parks and they are more dangerous to boot with the gun fire and bullets flying and all. So if I need to jump a curb and floor it down a sidewalk I hope I have a smooth landing as I try and avoid the crossfire is it sad that I am only sort of kidding here?

I am not knocking the truck I love the truck I better, just did the heater core last weekend I now have an intimate relationship with my ZR2. That was the automotive equivalent of a rectal exam rubber gloves and all.

I do know it is a truck, I understand its purpose, just looking for suggestions on a soft shock and not a performance cornering one at a price that is not 25% of my initial investment.
To be completely honest, if your shocks are that bad, any *new* shock will be like a night and day difference. If you aren't using your truck offroad, Bilstein's and Rancho's are pointless. Rancho is made for offroad. I would honestly go with a Monroe (I know Rancho is made by Monroe, but I guess Rancho is their brand for offroading) product like the Sensa-Trac. Either the Monroe-Matic, the Monroe Sensa-Trac, or if you are feeling spunky, the Monroe Reflex. Just my .02.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

If you need new shocks then replace them with whatever you want, but it's not going to make your ZR2 magically ride better. The springs are really stiff, that's the problem, not the shocks.

My buddy has a non-Z blazer, we both have the same shocks yet his has a much nicer ride than mine, because of the springs, not shocks.

Like I said before, you're only option for a better ride is to change the springs... or ride around with 300 lbs of crap in the back lol, that helps too.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks all I am going to pick what my budget allows I am sure it will be an improvement any way I go. I will update after I get them installed and a followup later on after longer use.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Good Luck

Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Beginning Member

Scored a complete set of Monroe Sensa-trac shocks they will be here on Tuesday looks like I got something to do next weekend.

Right now I am battling the rear shackle replacement. Got them torn apart but roasted the leaf bushing so I will pick up a pair in the morning.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

make sure you measure them

they have 2 different sizes

Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough

My Blazer has a better ride than my buddy's SSR...And I LIKE riding big chicks (I think the SSR is more of a BBW)...hahaha

Quick Reply: I want to Ride on a cloud