Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

KYB Excel G stocks ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member
Baddogkuzz is on a distinguished road
Default KYB Excel G stocks ??

First of all I just want to make sure that my 01' Blazer/ Trailblazer has the same size shocks as a Blazer of the same year. It has the Bilsteins stocks on it now and I am pretty sure they are original shocks. They have 189k on them and they have been needing to be replaced for at least 50k. I like Bilsteins I just can't afford them. I was wondering if any of you guys have had any luck with the KYB Excel G stocks? Mind you stock ride height and it isn't used off road unless my wife runs off the road.
KYB Excel G Chevrolet Blazer S10 Series 4WD 1982 2005 Front Rear Shocks Set of 4 | eBay

Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Beginning Member

I just want to give these one a bump !! I guess no one has ever put these on their truck? Well if I do end up putting these on my Blazer I'll post up on how well they work. I have had good luck with KYB products in the past I just have never put them on a SUV or truck before.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 AM
nationwide is on a distinguished road

Any news on these shocks?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by nationwide
Any news on these shocks?
Well I haven't found any more info or data on anyone using them. But I do plan on ordering them next week and I'll be installing them when I rebuild the front end. So it might be a while before I report back on how well they do. Since before I rebuild the front end on the Blazer I am rebuilding the front end on my F350. The Blazer has 190k and the F350 212k so I guess that is what can be expected when you are running 13-15 yr old vehicles with 200k on them. But I would rather do that then buy a new vehicle and make a monthly payment that costs more than it costs me to rebuild my front ends.

Now on the F350 I am running ReFlex shocks and I am very pleased with them. Mind you the F350 is a totally different animal compared to the Blazer. But I am sure the Reflex shocks would do well on the Blazer too. I just don't want to spend the extra money.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:46 PM
EZEARL is on a distinguished road

I've been using KYB shocks since the early 80's with GOOD service out of them. I just put a set of the Excel G's on the wife's '96 4x4 Blazer last summer and put a set of Monomax on my '96 XJ the summer before. KYB's seem to be bit stiffer (in the case of the Monomax ALOT stiffer) than most shocks. But living in this part of WV we travel alot of unimproved roads so they suit our needs just fine.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by EZEARL
I've been using KYB shocks since the early 80's with GOOD service out of them. I just put a set of the Excel G's on the wife's '96 4x4 Blazer last summer and put a set of Monomax on my '96 XJ the summer before. KYB's seem to be bit stiffer (in the case of the Monomax ALOT stiffer) than most shocks. But living in this part of WV we travel alot of unimproved roads so they suit our needs just fine.
Thanks for weighing in on this ! So it sounds like the Excel G's sounds like they will work out nicely for my wifes Blazer. Now I too have the issue of unimproved roads here in NW Indiana but it is more like pot holes and the state of Indiana just not willing to fix what is broken. This winter has been a tough one on the roads. Since these oem shocks have been wore out for about 50k I am looking forward to installing all new front end parts and the KYB's to restore the ride comfort of the old Blazer.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Once again I would like to thank you for your input on these KYB's because you are right they are a bit stiffer then a normal replacement shock. Now after about 6 mths with these shocks I would say they work great on unpaved roads and rough roads. They are alittle stiffer than I would like for highway driving. So now just need to see how long they will last.