Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

leaking front axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM
DJ 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default leaking front axle

I have a good bit of oil leaking from my front axle around where it connects into the tube that then goes into the front diff. It seems to have sprayed oil in a circle from it turning. Question is what is it thats leaking (a seal of some sort). Also how hard is it to change.

Ill get some pics of it shortly.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: leaking front axle

Is it green? If so, you blew a CV boot. If not, it could just be the lip seal on the passenger side extension tube.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:48 PM
DJ 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

no its not green, all my boots are good. i think its the lip seal how hard is that to replace its getting kinda bad.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Getting the CV shaft out is the difficult part. You have to pop a ball joint loose to get enough room to get the CV shaft room to pull out of the axle tube. You will also need a good peice of wood and a 5lb hammer to get the shaft out of the axle tube. Once the CV shaft is out of the way, it is not too difficult.