Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Load leveling kits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Beginning Member
Fast Rider is on a distinguished road
Default Load leveling kits?

So Ive got a post up about towing my boat from NH to WA (about 1500lbs) and it looks like I should install a tranny cooler.

I have been thinking, would it be beneficial to install a leveling kit so my blazer isnt sagging the entire time while driving 3k miles? Would I get better fuel economy and a smoother ride? I'm on a tight budget, but if the fuel savings are going to cover some of the cost of the kit it might be worth while. I have checked the air leveling kits but there seem like a lot of options. What do you guys recommend? How much can I expect to pay for installation?

Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to be loading things up pretty good every once in awhile, then I'd say a set of Monroe MaxAir shocks would allow you to level things out.

If it was going to be stuff you carry with you most of the time, then the Monroe Sensatrak w/ load assist coil springs would last longer. But they are not as adjustable as the MaxAir's. Especially if you get yourself a cheap little 12V air pump to adjust them on the go as well as fill your tires.

Installation is pretty easy on the shocks. If you have a good wrench and socket set along with a drill and some drill bits, you should be able to knock the install out in an hour, maybe two for a first timer. Don't be afraid to get into it.

Costs to have someone else do it... Hard to say with shop rates varying depending on location and type of shop. Mom & Pop shops, probably $75-100. Dealerships >$100.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Beginning Member

swart you are everywheres! haha I appreciate your responses to my topics. you seem to be very knowledgeable about these blazers. I do not tow very often imo, my boat maybe once every other week, and my snowmobile trailer on weekends in the winter. Both about 1500 lbs. Usually the tows are under 2hrs one way.

My concern at the moment is primarily regarding the ride and fuel economy of this 3k mile trip. The blazer will be loaded with some clothes, and other gear in the back and will also be towing my boat. If leveling the ride will help fuel economy I might be able to justify the cost. If it really won't make a noticeable difference I would probably lean away from it. Would the shocks you mentioned also stiffen the ride when not towing?

So you dont feel those air bag type levelers would be the way to go? These seem to have a small compressor and adjust automatically. I dont really know anything about these levelers so any infor is appreciated.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt you will see any difference in mileage.

As far as it being automatic, that will be pricey. The Monroe AirMax shocks have the necessary hardware to 'T' the two shocks together and run them to a schrader valve that you mount in a location of your choosing.

Also, you should consider that the tongue weight shouldn't really be too much over 500lbs anyway provided you load the trailer/boat properly. I typically try for around 200-300lbs when I'm loading up.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Beginning Member

Thats true you do make a good point. My blazer really doesn't sag too much when The trailer is hooked up, but sometimes aerodynamics can make a big difference so I figured I would ask. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
BlazerAWD is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do run air shocks, think about keeping the air lines separate. That used to be important to us (in the old days) when street racing. Running the air lines to one tee makes it real fast and convenient, but it tends to add more body roll as the air flows from one side to the other, increasing lift on the wheel on the inside of the turn. It even gets more important if you run a banked track. Don't think my Blazer will ever see a banked track, but its the same principle during lane changes at high speeds on the highway. And of course, like swartlkk said, check your tongue weight and make sure your trailer is riding level. Towing 1500 pounds should not make your truck sag at all. At the most it should ride level. Also, run your tire pressure up closer to max when towing. I tow about 3500 lbs. and at most it sits down about an inch. Depending on your trailer weight, you might have a heavier load than you realize or the load is too far forward on the trailer adding extra weight on the tongue. As far as mileage, remember to take it out of overdrive, at least whenever the engine is straining to keep up and trade some of your mileage for insurance against overheating and premature wear on the trany. Good luck. I think its real smart of you to plan this out before the trip instead of trying to figure out what when wrong while on the said of the road with a cell phone and no signal.

Last edited by BlazerAWD; 04-05-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling