Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Locked Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:09 PM
jamlauf is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Locked Steering Wheel

I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer Lt-auto trans., (I always follow the Haynes manual reguardless what I might know.) what I was working on is the heater core replacement. I disconnected the battery. I removed the dash and only unpluged the wires for the lights,rr defoger cluster far left side. I left all the other wires connected. I just worked around the dashboard to get to the heater core.

I lowered the steering column via the 4 nuts that hold it into place to help move the dashboard. After the heater core was finnished I had put everything back into place. When I went to start the vehicle- it started just fine but when I went to trun off the vehicle the key wont turn to the off possition. ( yes this vehicle you have to breake to turn it on and off) then I had discovered that the shifting would not shift. So I had disconnected the shifting cables at the steering column to see if it was the column that was stuck. It infact was the porblem.

I cant get the key to turn to the off possition and cant get the column to turn like to shift from p-d1-d2-2-1

Any sujestions about this problem is very appreciated thanks

Old 11-21-2009, 06:14 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the linkages are in a bind somewhere. I'd re-remove the column and inspect everything. Probably a binding issue.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM

My post stated that I had disconnected the linkage from the column and I still could not get the key to turn to the off position and the shifting lever to move out of park

Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down there sparky. It is probably best if you not get smart with those trying to help you just because you are pissed off that you screwed up your ride.

Now since the issue started AFTER you had things apart and then put them back together, the logical step would be to go back over any work you did in, at, or around the column. Something you did has caused the issue.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:24 PM

No I am not pissed lol upset ya but at myself I did go over everything 2 times and still will somemore I just mentioned that I disconnected the linkage from the steering column is all to see if it was the linkage and after you do that its no longer a linkage binding ??? It just acts like the column on &/or around the key switch or shifting lever area is all locked up I know you have to push the break in to get all to work ( checked this area also still plugged in and looks good)

is there anything else that I could check out that governs the key switch not to turn to the off possition? I did knoticed that today that the engine service light came on so I pulled the P codes here they are P-1860, P1864, & P1886 I looked these up and all govern about the same thing in the tranny my ??? is will this be the problem that could lock up the key and steeringwheel shifter?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you may be having an issue with the electronic park lock, but it is more likely the brake shift interlock.

Here is a little reading for you (sorry for the crappy quality, this is how I found them):

Attached Thumbnails Locked Steering Wheel-park_lock_1.gif   Locked Steering Wheel-park_lock_2.gif   Locked Steering Wheel-brake_shift_interlock.gif  
Old 11-22-2009, 08:13 PM

Thanks fo all your help

I did look at the brake shift interlock which is located next to the main shifting goes up to the column and down out through the fire wall the brake shift interlock is located about 1/2 way down the column. when I try to shift the lever to any other gear but park I looked at this and to me it acts like its free moving ( which I know dont mean too much cause it be electronic lol) to me it acts like it stuck at the column. if you try to shift it and follow down the shifting lever to where the colume meets it be locked up there.

The instruction pic you posted on the electronic park lock just might be the problem I will look at it tomarrow after work. thanks again and if I have any more ??? I will be in touch. thanks again

P.S. Please post or pm me the addy that you got that info on them there 2 pics so I can read me on the subject due to on them it referes to sections thats not there. thanks

Last edited by jamlauf; 11-22-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: update