Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

01, 2dr 4x4 shock replacment

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:14 PM
jstutzman is on a distinguished road
Default 01, 2dr 4x4 shock replacment

I just got thru reading many shock posts and have a few questions. We have 185k miles on it now and the front shocks are getting very spongy and the right one is seeping. I was wondering if you all could recommend a set of 4 shocks. The rear of the truck is starting to sag a little and many seem to like the monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber from advance autoparts. This looks like a good fit as it should help with the sag a little. From the people that have bought these, did it have a major affect on ride quality. I dont want something super stiff. Also what would be a good match for the front. It looks like these are for the rear only. My goal is to keep a decent ride but beef the rear end up a little. We use the truck for mainly daily driver back and forth to work ect and hauling stuff with trailers ocationally. Everything is stock as of now. I have uniroyal laredo cross countrys as far as tires. All suggestions will be appriciated. I was thinking these in the rear http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...CAMS_891996555___

and these in the front
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...CAMS_891954405___

The regular gas matics are much cheaper, would those work as well.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I used those Sensatrak coil over shocks on the back of my old Bravada so that it wouldn't look over loaded with the tools I carried around with me all of the time.

I used Monroe Reflex shocks up front and was very happy with the ride.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the advice, i tried to get the reflexes but nobody around here has them. i ended up buying the KYB gas-A-just shocks for the front. There were 65 total. I installed them today and they seem to be a nice mix. They are not as hard/harsh as my factory bilteins. They ride kinda like a soft/firm if you know what i mean. They are just about perfect, but im a little worried that after break in they will be a little soft. I ordered my sensatrak coil overs today and they will be here in the morning. Ill post results.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 PM

Ignor my upper post, i did not get the gas adjust shocks they were the G series. This probalby explains why the ride was a little softer than i expected.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM

Final update. I took the G series KYB's off. I put monroe reflex monotubes on the front, and monroe spring over shocks on the back. The setup is about perfect. The reflex shocks are pretty firm, but a little less harsh as my OEM bilstiens. Once they break in i think i will really like them. Also the spring over shock in the back, took the sag out of the back. Maybe lifted it up .25 inches or something.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 PM
toaks1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jstutzman
I just got thru reading many shock posts and have a few questions. We have 185k miles on it now and the front shocks are getting very spongy and the right one is seeping. I was wondering if you all could recommend a set of 4 shocks. The rear of the truck is starting to sag a little and many seem to like the monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber from advance autoparts. This looks like a good fit as it should help with the sag a little. From the people that have bought these, did it have a major affect on ride quality. I dont want something super stiff. Also what would be a good match for the front. It looks like these are for the rear only. My goal is to keep a decent ride but beef the rear end up a little. We use the truck for mainly daily driver back and forth to work ect and hauling stuff with trailers ocationally. Everything is stock as of now. I have uniroyal laredo cross countrys as far as tires. All suggestions will be appriciated. I was thinking these in the rear http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...CAMS_891996555___

and these in the front
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...CAMS_891954405___

The regular gas matics are much cheaper, would those work as well.

get yourself to Sears, they are having a FREE install on all monroe shocks right now, and the prices $5-$10 over what they charge at the auto store. I got sensa-tracks on the front and gas matics on the back (b/c they were all out of sensatracks for the back). The ride is noticably improved with little/no body roll, no floating for miles after a bump on the highway and no more nose diving when stopping.

Anyways $175 out the door for all 4 shocks purchased and installed, Thats about $40 more than i would have spent buyin the parts at Napa

Last edited by toaks1; 11-24-2009 at 10:40 PM.