Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member
MLRS327 is on a distinguished road
Default Loose Steering

Hey guys. Appreciate the help. My steering was very sloppy, I replaced the rag joint and corrected the poor feedback and crappy turning. It is no longer loose but there is another problem I can't find. When moving the steering wheel left or right there is play. Probably 2 inches in both directions. I have checked and the intermediate shaft is not moving whatsoever inside this play range. I know the shaft coming from firewall pivots, so there must be another joint somewhere. 2000 Jimmy BTW. Any ideas?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member

Also curious if there is another intermediate shaft, aftermarket rag joint, or both that can be purchased to install in place of the oem setup. Looked at Summit and Flaming River, cant seem to find it. Not looking at doing the Jeep retro I have read about. Looking for more of plug and play. Thanks

Old 09-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Mayhemkustomz is on a distinguished road

I thought the same thing but then had to realize i was used to rack n pinion steering that is much tighter.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I did the jeep thing on my 89 Blazer and for all practible purpses it was plug & Play. At the firewall end all I had to do was mill a very small amount of material from the steering column end to provide clearance for the shaft cinch bolt. At the steering box end had to mill the threads off of the middle of the cinch bolt as it was hitting the splines. From my research it looks like the steering shaft from a Grand Cherokee will work with the 2nd gen blazers. Check out the links below as there is good information as to what year steering shafts will work with the 2nd Gen Blazers. My steering is tight and no slop. This was the best mod for the price I ever done.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/s15-w-jeep-cherokee-steering-shaft-48693/

Last edited by mr.vls; 09-30-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info. Good post by the way. Not into the modification, but I did learn that the problem is with the tulip joint/upper joint from your how to. This must be the joint that is in between the steering wheel and rag joint. Now the question is, has anyone worked on this joint?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to state the obvious, but have you inspected all of the joints in the steering for play?? Some places will do a free inspection and give you a list of whats wrong (probably will include things that aren't wrong as well).

Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Beginning Member

I have inspected all the joints from the rag joint down. Everything is tight. Its the joint in between the rag joint and the actual steering wheel that I am slightly confused about. I am not sure where it is locating/hiding under to inspect it. But looking at the intermediate shaft while wiggling the wheel about 2 in. from center to left and 2 in. from center to right, shaft is not budging. I can feel it "catch" at the end of the play, then the shaft begins to rotate. Thanks for help guys, it is appreciated.