Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

lubing up the transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
bigdevo82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lubing up the transfer case

so to start i am not all that mechanically inclined, i can do the basics like tune ups, change tires, thermostats and what not.

about 3 months ago i started getting a bad grinding noise in the front of my 96 s10. it sat for a bit till i got it to a friends dads house for him to look at. eventually he found that there was no oil in the front transfer case to he filled it up.

fast forward to now about a month after i got her back, im getting the noise again and they are out of town and i dont have a way of getting ahold of em to ask for help.

i got the same stuff that he put in, but i am not sure how to put it in. i looked under and i see what looks like a drain plug and i remember him saying something about that, but im at a loss on how to get the stuff in.

i know its probobly got a leak but i just need it to last me a couple more months, then it will be my project instead of my daily driver.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: lubing up the transfer case

There will be a fill port located on the side of the front diff housing (assuming you are talking about the front differential housing and not the transfer case which is located off the back of the transmission).

Old 12-19-2008, 04:01 PM
bigdevo82 is an unknown quantity at this point

i suppose it could be the diff housing but i was told it was the transfer case for the 4 wheel drive which would be in the front right?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, the transfer case is behind the transmission about the middle of the vehicle. It could be either of them I suppose, but the sound would not be coming from the front if the transfer case was at fault.