Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Max Tire Size Safe for Stock Axles

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Max Tire Size Safe for Stock Axles

Hey...I'm researching a number of different lift and tire options...and one thing hanging me up is the max tire size that is reasonably safe for stock axles on a 2nd gen Blazer 4x4. I thought I read somewhere that 33's was the absolute max...and only for very occasional/light wheelin'.

Forget about the lift itself...that's another issue. All I'm concerned about is if stock front and rear axles will become damaged from mainly on road use with 33's. I think I can run 33's without a regear...but I don't want to start snapping axle shafts driving to work.

I tried searching a number of things bith here, and offsite...can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 AM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

i wouldnt go bigger than a 32 on a stock axle, ul notice a huge lag of power with anything bigger. i ran 31s on my stock gears/axles for a cpl years with a 3" body lift, home made shackle and zr2 keyways, but im runnin a 4.3L. i noticed a big difference in mpgs, and power wheelin. it did alrite, but i def could use a regear. and with 33s, ul put a huge strain on ur cv axles. they are weak to begin with and when u put that big a tire on them they become toothpicks that are ez to break. if ur gonn lift it enough to wanna run 33s and not wanna worry about snapping axles look into a lil straight axle lift. same price as a ifs lift but stronger and more potential. plus, if u find a good set of axles ul have a regear too. a good set of jeep axles will give u what u want for lift and ul even be running 4:10 after. just a thought.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

I've never broken a CV on 33's with fairly hard wheeling. Yes, the rear ends are different between mine and yours, but front CV's are same strength.

You'd be fine on 33's for mainly street use.

Here's a link with my buddy's Blazer on 33's

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-...er-pics-71189/

Old 08-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Starting Member

Your opinion on stock gears? Also...I have a 5sp Blazer...I suspect my 210k mile clutch will finally crap the bed.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

3.42's? That's what he has, he says they're fine for street use. For off-road, they are somewhat hindering. He also has a 5 spd, which I think is why he is ok with stock gears, I wouldn't want to run 33's with an auto and 3.42s

Old 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jamaroon
I've never broken a CV on 33's with fairly hard wheeling. Yes, the rear ends are different between mine and yours, but front CV's are same strength.
some people can somehow make them last. me, i ran 33 12.50s on a stock s10 and broke a cv joint every time i turned the wheel halfway, no matter how much i babied it they just kept snapping left and right.... literally.

that was on a first gen though, but i think its all the same stuff.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Starting Member

I'll check my ratio tomorrow...or maybe later tonight after a few more wheeeskies. I've had a couple mechanics at various places tell me in the past that my Blazer has a "different" stock config than the normal ones they see. Dunno what that really means, if anything.