Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

my dad talks smack

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
bigmatt1 is on a distinguished road
Default my dad talks smack

first of all, i love to drive fast, i love to burn rubber, i love to hear the roar of the engine. but who doesnt?

anyway, me and my dad were going to work in my blazer and i peeled out on the way there. only one tire spun. then he makes a smart comment cuz i dont have positive traction. i recently found out that my blazer has 3.42s. we were coming back home on the highway and it was pouring down rain. i turned on the 4wd and i was doing 75 when everyone else was doing like 50. when i got off the interstate, i stomped it and the tires didnt spin. this leads me to think when i put it in 4wd, all the wheels lock and spin at the same time and the same rate. is this true?

also, an older guy i know told me his old 2wd chevy truck can pass anywhere my truck can in the mud which i think is not even close to being true but hey, he's old. then he says he has an old yota that will outdo me all day long in the mud which i think is quite possible. he also said, oh my yota has positive traction and all the wheels spin at the same time blah blah. your limited slip 4wd is no match against it. and i was like ok. we will see what happens when i get my lift and tires on.

but i really think somehow since i turn the 4wd on, my rear tires arent limited slip anymore cuz the truck handles alot better and gains like 100% better traction. someone please help me out.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

If this is an honest question, you've got bigger troubles than people around you talking smack.

First: 75MPH+4WD=AYOFG? (Translation:4WD only likes limited traction situations where the wheels can grip and slip, and speeds nowhere near 75MPH. Rain on asphalt does not count as a limited traction situation.)

Second: Take a second to think about what you posted. While in 2wd your drive wheel spun. While in 4wd you didn't spin. Could it be because you have two drive wheels moving you along instead of one and traction is improved?

Third: You didn't magically gain an LSD by turning 4wd on. If you don't have the G80 code in your glove box, you still have an open differential.

Fourth: AYOFG?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You really don't know the first thing about your vehicle, do you?

First, look in the glove box for a stick with a bunch of three digit codes. If you find G80 then you have the GovLock. If it is there then it isn't working. If it isn't there then you now know why you only have a one wheel peel.

And, no, when you put it in 4wd, not all four tires are getting power. Only one up front and one in the rear. To lock all four in you need lockers both front and rear.

Listen to the old guy. He's been driving longer than you've been alive.

And slow the hell down. Being young and dumb does not make one immortal.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

When you turn 4wd on your front tires pull as well.... So you will handle better and get a lot more traction... hence AWD cars handling like beasts

Originally Posted by AJBert
And slow the hell down. Being young and dumb does not make one immortal.
Neither does wearing a seatbelt... lol but yea.. Safe, not sorry....

I have been in the position of driving way to fast... 95 tracer on 13" rims with donut sized wheels going 100 mph.... Something you only do young and stupid... I think I maybe ran my blazer up to 70 once...

Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

ok posi is the same as a limited slip. look in you glove box and see if there is G80 in all the code. There is no difference in 4wd or 2wd. The reason you couldnt spin them in 4x4 is just because you have an extra wheel with power and the motor doesnt have the toque to spin both of them. I doubt a stock 2wd can go farther than a stock 4x4.

wow i get distracted by the tv for a few minutes and 4 post get in before me

Last edited by NVANZEE; 01-12-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 PM
toaks1 is on a distinguished road

first here is some terminology:

open differential = when one wheel looses traction the other wheel recieves 0 torque. this is what most blazers have.

limited slip = posi-traction, these two are synonymous. this is similar to an open differential but it has a clutch pack inside of it to provide some torque to each wheel even when one looses traction. This is a common factory option but is not standard on blazers.

locking differential = both wheels constantly recieve 50% of the torque, these are only found on heavily modified trail rigs and never found on street vehicles because both wheels spin at the same speed constantly, this makes them incredibly difficult to steer and turn on dry pavement.

one way to see whether you have a posi (limited slip) rear end is to check you options code list (located on the inside of the glovebox). The code for posi is "G80".

with your 4x4 on you are technically doubling your traction because you have 4 drive wheels in contact with the ground vs 2 drive wheels contacting the ground.

as for the guy claiming his toyota will walk all over your blazer, he is just talking out of his ***. Unless his toyota is a hardcore trail rig with locking differentials he cannot possibly have anything better than posi-traction

Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by toaks1
first here is some terminology:
locking differential = both wheels constantly recieve 50% of the torque, these are only found on heavily modified trail rigs and never found on street vehicles because both wheels spin at the same speed constantly, this makes them incredibly difficult to steer and turn on dry pavement.
you are describing a "locker" far FAR different than a locking diff... also they are found in many serious street rods and anything getting tons of power. they are generally selectable (e-lockers or air lockers) so they can drive more comfortably when not laying the hammer down.

g80 is the RPO name for the locking rear diff formerly known as "GovLock"... a locking diff is essentially an OPEN diff, that FUNCTIONS as a limited slip. see, the g80 is not like a posi in that is locking/unlocking is controled through centrifugal force via weighted arms instead of a viscous clutch pack. at extremeley low rpm (of the wheels) the diff will be locked (essentially posi) in that both tires get power. as the wheel rpms increase, centrifugal forces allows the weight to be pulled up, giving you an open diff.
UNLESS one wheel spins faster than the other. in a loss of traction situation where one tire's rpms jumps over the other's (i think by >100rpm), the diff will "lock up" feeding power to both. (imagine jamming a pencile in a fan to stop it)

a locking diff is about as far from a locker as limited slip is from an open diff...

Originally Posted by toaks1
as for the guy claiming his toyota will walk all over your blazer, he is just talking out of his ***. Unless his toyota is a hardcore trail rig with locking differentials he cannot possibly have anything better than posi-traction
he could have a datsun 2wd light *** pick up and out mud a blazer depending on a number of things no small measure of which is EXPERIENCE...

a base line, run of the mill Taco will have larger tires and better clearance than a Blazer. give em both 4wd, and the Taco will go far and away further than a comperable Blazer in matching mud with equally skilled/experienced drivers.
AND he would have to have hardcore mix-and-match skills or a lot of time to fab stuff in order to pull off dual locking diffs in a toyota as the g80 is the only I know of (but i'm sure there are more) since the axles/carriers/spline count/gear size etc are all way WAY different...
Plus anyone who has a "hardcore trail rig" SHOULD have something a little more substantial than GovBomb differentials...... like air lockers

and posi aint bad, just not that great either: Limited slip differentials are considered a compromise between an open differential and a locker because they operate more smoothly, and they do direct some amount of torque to the wheel with the most traction, but they are not capable of 100% lockup.

or at a base minimum some G81 "AXLE, POSITRACTION, FULL LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL, ELECTRONIC, DRIVER SELECT" if only i had one of those.....

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-12-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 AM
bigmatt1 is on a distinguished road

There is no need for sounding like a smartass. I was simply asking a question since I'm not use to 4wd vehicles and never thought I would own one. But 75 mph on the interstate isn't fast. That's actually what most drivers do around here while some do more. The fastest I went in my blazer was 97 since that's where it shuts off at. I did it on a long stetch of road where there is usually no cops and not many vehicles. Now maybe I didn't word my question correctly but some people still kinda got what I was saying. I will look in my glove box tonight but someone basically answered what I asked. That when a wheel spins faster than the other, it makes both of them spin at the same speed. So in order for my truck to do that, it has to have the gov lock? Is that what that is?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

g80 is the sticker code you want
it indicates a locking differential, though the code is described as "positraction limited slip" which is redundant...
g80 USED to be called "GovLock" when it was new (and faulty) and had a nasty habit of blowing up ("GovBomb") inside the pumpkin. it has since been improved and made more reliable (post '88 i think)

as for the OMG 75mph! it had nothing to do with speed. it had to do with speed while IN 4WD! 4wd is intended for low traction situations in which an additional drive wheel is called for to help you out.

low traction is seldom paired with high speed, SO going fast in 4WD is a good way to screw your 4WD all to hell. thats why as a rule you are not supposed to go over 45 in 4HI and no faster than 5-10 in 4LO.

BTW talking about speeding, even where you think it is safe, unless it is in a controled environment (i.e. closed course quarter mile etc.) is in poor taste. Recklessness aside (who hasn't sped before?) it's the point that if we all start measuring our man hoo... i mean speed records then we as a forum look wreckless and dangerous and it leads to problems (hence the no street racing stories rule)

It sounds stupid, but the last thing we need is some asshat lawyer to point to a forum like ours that looks like it has ties to a larger company and scream, "Look at these callous speed freaks racing around in their Blazers! It's lucky more people have not been killed!" Then we get shut down when it is found that we are not affiliated with GM. Then President Obama is forced to bail out a 51% share of BF and we are all controled by government brain bots and it all happened because we couldn't keep our speed stories in our pants when we got drunk that night in college....

So in conclusion, if you do not want to ruin the forum (and the world) post responsibly and look for G80 RPO in your glove box.

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-13-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

"It sounds stupid, but the last thing we need is some asshat lawyer to point to a forum like ours that looks like it has ties to a larger company and scream, "Look at these callous speed freaks racing around in their Blazers! It's lucky more people have not been killed!" Then we get shut down when it is found that we are not affiliated with GM. Then President Obama is forced to bail out a 51% share of BF and we are all controled by government brain bots and it all happened because we couldn't keep our speed stories in our pants when we got drunk that night in college.... "

So in conclusion, if you do not want to ruin the forum (and the world) post responsibly and look for G80 RPO in your glove box.[/quote]

predicting the future are we? on a serious note though this is the truth. i'd listen to these guys they know their stuff. im 17 and yes teenagers do stupid stuff. heck 20+ do stupid stuff. the point is you got to know your limits. on the technical side like said above dont go 70mph in 4hi and nothing over 10mph in 4lo. these guys arent your parents but none of us want to see you fry your transfer case or get killed. theres better things to do then speeding. you want to live awile dont you?

Quick Reply: my dad talks smack