Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

need help, having problems moving

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM
bat6180 is on a distinguished road
Default need help, having problems moving

I recently got a '79 blazer, it has the np 203 transfer case, the other day one of the front hubs broke (lost the cap and spring retainer, when this happened) now my truck won't move unless the transfer case shifter is in the 4 loc position. is this because of the broken hub or did my transfer case crap out on me?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For a stock NP203, that is normal operation and here's why. The NP203 is a full-time 4wd transfer case. As such, it has a center differential that is open when in HI or LO and locked when in HI-LOC or LO-LOC. When you have a broken front hub, one axle shaft is allowed to spin and all of the power will be transferred there. As originally configured, an NP203 equipped truck would have been delivered with dust shields at the center of the front hubs which covered solid drive flanges; meaning that the front wheels where always engaged.

For an NP203 that has been fully & properly part-time converted (not just with lock-out hubs installed on each front wheel hub), you have a problem. A part-time converted NP203 basically has the differential in the transfer case modified such that it always provides power to the rear axle. If your truck has lockout hubs on the front and you have been able to drive with the hubs unlocked & the transfer case in HI prior to this, then you may have problems in the transfer case relating to the modification done during the part-time conversion. There are some poor quality part-time kits that were available at one time or another.

Please provide further details on how your truck operated prior to the hub damage and do some reading up on 'NP203 part time conversions'.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 PM
bat6180 is on a distinguished road

the blazer is still set up as it was from the factory with full time 4 wheel drive the problem i'm having now is I can't find anyone that carries the dust cap or the spring retainer that i need to fix it, and right now I can't afford to do the part time conversion to it.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is junkyards or eBay. I see one set on eBay right now for $50; springs and all.