Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

New brakes making noises / Pulling

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rottidog
If they weren't married properly the rotors would probably look glazed.
What about the tie rod end interfering with the dust plate? It seems like something is loose & moving backwards &/or inwards when you turn.
Have you had the front end on jack stands (block the rear tires when doing this & E brake is a good idea too) & gotten under to see what moves when in relation to other parts when someone turns the wheel?
I will check that out, but I had the whole front end inspected after I suspected a wheel bearing was bad and the only thing they found was a ball joint issue, which I had fixed. They said the front end was in good condition and tight.

I don't think they were married properly. In fact, I would bet money against it. What if that was the case? Is it possible to fix it without doing the whole job again?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

They should eventually wear in. The rotors may look glazed & you could try breaking them in by doing a few higher speed hammer on the brakes. Usually shops do that when they test drive a vehicle after brake replacement is done. Some pads don't need that done because of a break in compound they have on the surface of the new pads.
I didn't marry mine properly when I replaced them 3 years ago with new pads & vented/drilled rotors. They were noisy for a few weeks but it took longer to get them quiet than if I had married them properly.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:01 AM

They should eventually wear in. The rotors may look glazed & you could try breaking them in by doing a few higher speed hammer on the brakes. Usually shops do that when they test drive a vehicle after brake replacement is done. Some pads don't need that done because of a break in compound they have on the surface of the new pads.
I didn't marry mine properly when I replaced them 3 years ago with new pads & vented/drilled rotors. They were noisy for a few weeks but it took longer to get them quiet than if I had married them properly.
The rotors still have their diagonal pattern on them. They are still brand new.

I will do a few hard stops, but how hot should I allow the brakes to get without causing damage?

So could this break in compound be the reason why it is only doing it at low speed and even more so during left turns? That could be what they were talking about that they sometimes grind down.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran

Do it a few times... then drive & let them cool & do it again. It's not going to harm them & not going to over heat them if you get to 30 or so mph & hit the brakes hard.
I'd drive it normally for a couple weeks & see if they quieten but keep the garage that did the work informed so you protect your ***'ets for a warrenty.

Also whatever you're doing to the brakes as in the hard stops etc isn't anything the brakes weren't originally designed for! Just tell the garage you had to make a few panic stops because of stupid drivers, pedestrians etc - IF THEY ASK! Don't offer information unless they ask. Just say they're noisy or you aren't happy with them. If they're any kind of a stand up shop they'll do what they can to make it right & the customer is happy.

Last edited by Rottidog; 05-13-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Problem has been found. The front brakes were fine. Then they started looking at the rears and noticed the rear right wheel wasn't spinning as quietly or as easily as the left. They even put it on the lift and into 4x4 and it took some throttle to get the right wheel moving while the left one spun. They took it apart and not only found the parking brake shoe was totally gone (as in no material left. Bare metal), but the inner pad was down to the squealer and the outer was in good shape. The slider pins were frozen. The rotor on the right side was also thin. In fact, it appeared the inner part was half as thin as the outer. They couldn't fix it today since they didn't have the parts, so they put it back together. I was told it was all due to corrosion. They even had to use a sledgehammer to get the rotor off. This one only lasted 30000 miles and two winters (one of them mild).

Apparently, I thought it was coming from the left because it was reverberating under the truck. It was doing it mostly during left turns because the lateral forces at the tail end of the car during a left turn made the squealer make noise. This guy said 1000 miles left, but I am getting it done ASAP.

They didn't touch the rear left, but I can imagine it will be the same. Since the backing plate was in bad shape with a hole in the bottom part of it, they cut it off so it doesn't rub against the rotor.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 05-15-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran

Wow, we were all going by what you said about where & what the sound was lol. I guess we shouldn't feel too thtupid hehehe.
Congrats on finding it out!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 PM

Wow, we were all going by what you said about where & what the sound was lol. I guess we shouldn't feel too thtupid hehehe.
Congrats on finding it out!
Thanks. I wouldn't say 1000 miles. The noise is loud now after they put it back together.

It really did sound like it was coming from the left and since the front was the most recently touched, I thought that was it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

That's an easy DIY job. Rotors, pads, reman calipers, (including the brackets), park brake shoes & hardware. Couple hours max & no special tools.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
That's an easy DIY job. Rotors, pads, reman calipers, (including the brackets), park brake shoes & hardware. Couple hours max & no special tools.
The calipers are about 2 years old and the pistons were moving easily when they tested them. The shop owner said it doesn't need calipers. New pads, rotors and cleaning up the pins is all.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
BF Veteran

The owner said it doesn't need calipers? WTF that's amazing, usually they say "oh they're ok but will probably need to be changed in a few months, I'd change them now while everything is already apart" w/e etc etc <--- the 'while we're at it & to save you money' BS lines
That's pretty good of him IMO!

Quick Reply: New brakes making noises / Pulling