Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Noise from Front End

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Beginning Member
mfd70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noise from Front End

Hi All, I know this question has been asked before, but I'm getting the "rumbling" noise from the front end when steering right, noise stops when steering left, couple of points, if it is wheel bearing, I've noticed others saying wheel hub/bearing assembly is about $500, but I've seen what I think is the same part from autozone for $99, am I looking at the right part ? Also could it be anything else other than wheel bearing as I only noticed the noise after engaging 4LO on the transfer case, then returning to 2HI, might just be coincidence ?Any thoughts ???

Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

DO NOT get the cheap wheel bearing assemblies. I just helped a buddy replace a wheel bearing on his C1500 4.3L pickup. 5 months later I was replacing the same one again. Lets just say that his wheel was only two more rollers from falling out. The bearing had shredded itself and already spit out quite a few of the rollers. This time he decided to listen to me and get the more expensive replacement ($290 IIRC).

From your description, the left wheel bearing is in need of replacement. Jack up the left side and support it. Grab the wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock and alternately push in and pull out, feeling for play. This should confirm your previous observations.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Starting Member
bammontana has a little shameless behavior in the past

Originally Posted by swartlkk
DO NOT get the cheap wheel bearing assemblies. I just helped a buddy replace a wheel bearing on his C1500 4.3L pickup. 5 months later I was replacing the same one again. Lets just say that his wheel was only two more rollers from falling out. The bearing had shredded itself and already spit out quite a few of the rollers. This time he decided to listen to me and get the more expensive replacement ($290 IIRC).

From your description, the left wheel bearing is in need of replacement. Jack up the left side and support it. Grab the wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock and alternately push in and pull out, feeling for play. This should confirm your previous observations.
I agree with Kyle, from what I have seen happen to other members also, going with a cheap after market part is not a good idea for assemblies.

I guess you always have to go by the rule of thumb - if it breaks, and you are driving, will it cause seriousss consequences?

Don't mean to be dramatic, but anything with drivetrain including brakes I rather spend the little bit of money on a good part.