Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

NP208C output shaft play/clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:13 PM
WOMKPorkchop is on a distinguished road
Default NP208C output shaft play/clicking noise

I am in dire need of some advice, I have an 84 K5 with 6" of suspension and 35's. Recently a clicking noise has develped in the T-Case in both 4 and 2 wheel drive. Under load or torque applied to the driveshaft nothing, but as soon as I am up to speed and I am maintaining cruze speed it will start clicking. I let off the throttle and it goes away, during normal braking it will start again around 25 MPH, it I brake a little harder than normal it goes away.

I lifted the rear end off the ground this weekend, In park I have about 1/3 rotation of play in the output shaft and no slop in the rear pumpkin before it catched in the transfer case and stops turning, I can run the tires forward and backward and when it catches it sounds identical to the sound I hear going down the road. my rear U-Joints are nice and tight with no play on top or bottom.

I haven't tore the t-case off yet as it's all I have to drive right now, this weekend if I can get some advice I will most likely tear it apart. My question however is this, What in ya'll opinion may be worn in the T-Case causing this? I can't have the truck down for more than a weekend and I really need some good advice and hoping it's something I can repair in my dirveway.

Thanks a million everyone.

Last edited by WOMKPorkchop; 12-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

youre probably better off just buying a used transfer case for $100 then trying to figure out that mess. the problem is when you open it up if you find out whats wrong with it, its doubtful you can just go to autozone and buy the part its going to be a special order part.

last time i broke my np208 offroad it was making a banging sound every rotation, halfway out of the trail something broke and i lost 4wd all together, curious i opened it up and only thing i found was a broken washer.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:33 AM
Starting Member
papajim is on a distinguished road

Sound like the chain in your t-case is the problem, mine has been making a noise for a year or so, i am planning on getting it fixed soon. lol think i said that last year too.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:34 AM

I am picking up a used T-Case tomorrow, will clean it up and throw it in, I am really curious what is going on inside mine though and will post once I open it up so if anyone else has this problem they will know what my findings were. it Started this crap about a month ago and has progressively gotten worse with more slop, honestly kind of excited to finally know what has went bad inside of it. Thanks ya'll for the responses.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah post it up im always curious to see breakage, but like i said mine was very melodramatic, just a weird bearing washer thing in there broke in half

Old 12-30-2013, 04:16 PM

I got it removed but haven't had time to tear into it, as soon as I start pulling it apart, I will post up pics and an description of what I have found.