Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Re:NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 06:33 AM
Beginning Member
Stro53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re:NEED HELP

I need some help with my 99 GMC Jimmy.I first have dumped over $1,400 into my truck.Replaced upper/LOWER ball joints,upper control arms,CV shaft on drivers side and shackles in the rear,replaced both front wheel.bearing they were shot.
If you own a gmc jimmy or s-10 you know very well all of the above parts go alot in them.
Truck runs good and body is good at 203,000 but have a issue never thought would happen.
O am getting a grounding type noise like the wheel bearings in the rear are going .I can feel it vibrating on the gear shift.But when I took the tire off to check the bearing for play the spindle did have play in it.
NOW IF THERE IS THE GROUNDING TYPE NOICE WITH PLAY IS THIS SURELY THE BEARING?BOTH SIDES ARE BAD BUT PASSENGER WORSE.
SECOMD I WIGGLED THE DRIVE SHAFT AND IT WAS TIGHT NO PLAY NEXT I NEED TO CHECK THE GEAR OIL MAKING SURE ITS NOT DRY CAUSE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BUT COULDNT FIND THE HOLE TO CHECK NOW I KNOW.WHERE IT IS.IT USE TO BE ON THE PUMPKIN BUT NOW ON THE SIDE.
COULD IT BE THE AXLE BEARING? OR DO YOU REPLACE BOTH AXLE BEARINGS?AND IS THE WHEEL.BEARING WITH THIS?
I. LIKE MY JIMMY AND STILL FUND IT CHEAPER TO MAINTAIN IT THEN MAKE CAR PAYMENTS AS LONG AS NOTHING MAJIOR GOES.BODY IS GREAT AND RUNS GOOD CAUSE THE OIL IS DONE REGUALRY AND TUNED UP.
ANYHOW PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS NOISE.THE REAR SOUNDS JUST LIKE A WHEEL BEARING GOUNG LIKE THE FRONT AND HAS PLAY IN IT.
(1)DO I CHANGE THE AXLE.BEARING?
(2)HOW DO YOU TELL IF A PINION IS BAD?

(3)PASSENGER SIDE IS WORSE BUT DRIVERS IS BAD ALSO ..
SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?AND WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE AND DO??

Old 12-18-2020, 06:35 AM
Beginning Member
Default Re:NEED HELP

I need some help with my 99 GMC Jimmy.I first have dumped over $1,400 into my truck.Replaced upper/LOWER ball joints,upper control arms,CV shaft on drivers side and shackles in the rear,replaced both front wheel.bearing they were shot.
If you own a gmc jimmy or s-10 you know very well all of the above parts go alot in them.
Truck runs good and body is good at 203,000 but have a issue never thought would happen.
O am getting a grounding type noise like the wheel bearings in the rear are going .I can feel it vibrating on the gear shift.But when I took the tire off to check the bearing for play the spindle did have play in it.
NOW IF THERE IS THE GROUNDING TYPE NOICE WITH PLAY IS THIS SURELY THE BEARING?BOTH SIDES ARE BAD BUT PASSENGER WORSE.
SECOMD I WIGGLED THE DRIVE SHAFT AND IT WAS TIGHT NO PLAY NEXT I NEED TO CHECK THE GEAR OIL MAKING SURE ITS NOT DRY CAUSE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BUT COULDNT FIND THE HOLE TO CHECK NOW I KNOW.WHERE IT IS.IT USE TO BE ON THE PUMPKIN BUT NOW ON THE SIDE.
COULD IT BE THE AXLE BEARING? OR DO YOU REPLACE BOTH AXLE BEARINGS?AND IS THE WHEEL.BEARING WITH THIS?
I. LIKE MY JIMMY AND STILL FUND IT CHEAPER TO MAINTAIN IT THEN MAKE CAR PAYMENTS AS LONG AS NOTHING MAJIOR GOES.BODY IS GREAT AND RUNS GOOD CAUSE THE OIL IS DONE REGUALRY AND TUNED UP.
ANYHOW PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS NOISE.THE REAR SOUNDS JUST LIKE A WHEEL BEARING GOUNG LIKE THE FRONT AND HAS PLAY IN IT.
(1)DO I CHANGE THE AXLE.BEARING?
(2)HOW DO YOU TELL IF A PINION IS BAD?

(3)PASSENGER SIDE IS WORSE BUT DRIVERS IS BAD ALSO ..
SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?AND WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE AND DO??

Old 12-18-2020, 06:46 AM
Beginning Member
Default Re:99 JIMMY GRINDING NOISE

I just completed doung the front end of my jimmy.it has been well kept but is the usual wear and tear but why the upper/lower ball joints,control arms,wheel bearings go so much on these is beyond me especially when i dont ever take it off road ki da messed up.
Anyhow i have 203,000 well.kept but now its been gping on which sounds like the rear wheel bearings going.i never thought i would have to worrt about these ones but (hello)wake up and smell the breeze.i removed the tire to check it out and the spindle i started jigglung it and had alot of play.
So do you feel its the wheel bearings or would y0u feel i have.a worse issue?now it it definite in the wheel and have no.idea if a pinion goes what it sounds like.
The drivers side might as well be fixed too cause its grinding now too just not as bad.i have alteady.dumped $1675 intp it paid $600 for it which the owner did maintain it and all the miles are highway miles.
Whats your opinion on my issue?and i woyld appreciate some honest input cause i wanna get this right.with this fixed it would be a quiet ride.
What are signs of rear ends and pinions going?
And shpuld both axle bearings be replaced also?

Old 12-18-2020, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I merged your threads into one. Please keep all information in one thread as it's easier for people to help this way.

If your are certain that the noise is coming from the rear axle I would jack it up and disconnect the driveshaft so you can spin the rear axle freely while listening. To replace the rear axle bearings you need to remove the axle shafts which will make listening to and isolating the pinion gears even easier at the same time. Since you have to drain the diff I would certainly replace both bearings at the same time.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:18 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Assuming you have the regular 7 5/8" rear end, there is only a fill hole on the body of the axle on the left/passenger side. It is removed with a 3/8" square drive (socket wrench driver). it is about directly above the axle centerline. On stock rear axles, there is no way to drain the differential gear oil unless you remove the rear steel cover.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:34 PM
Beginning Member
Default Thank you

Well surely its gotta be the wheel bearings.But gonna check it out better just never known of two wheel bearing in the rear going but maybe with the highway miles there worn..Will check it all pit aling with the oil level.