Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear axle woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Alacorn101 is on a distinguished road
Smile Rear axle woes

I have a 2000 S10 Blazer. The rear axle bearing went bad necesitating a new rear end. As money is not near as plentiful as I might have hoped I removed a rear from a junkyard as opposed to purchasing, or rebuilding the existing rear. As the new to me rear has drum brakes I am in the middle of swapping over all of my disc brake goodness from my bad rear to the good rear. The problem I have is that while the original rear has an open dif, the new to me rear has the G80 CODE, GOV-LOC option. I dont know how to remove the axles from this style differential. Mainly I'm not sure how to drop the shaft pin in order to remove the C clips so that I may remove the axles. I would really appreciate any input from anyone who has removed or knows how to remove axles from the same style locked rear I'm currently involved in. Thanks in advance

Old 11-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It has been a long while since I had a G80 rear opened up, but from what I recall, it has the same cross bolt & pin arrangement, but the c-clips only come out one side.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Alacorn101 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, well I removed the cross bolt and the pin drops only about half an inch, its acting as its being held in by something. I guess i can use a bigger hammer, however the 2lb sledge should've done it. I guess if that doesn't work I can remove the Loc? Ill post back if the big hammer works, or if i destroy it Any further davice welcomed thanks :>

Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it comes out far enough so that you can see the hole where the retaining bolt goes in, put the bolt through the hole and use that as a handle to pull it free. Nothing should need a hammer to facilitate removal.