Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear Diff cover with drain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 05:18 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Rear Diff cover with drain?

Anyone know of a source of rear differential covers that also have a drain but are not one of those over-built cast covers that are designed to reinforce the gearing inside? The cast ones are super expensive and I was hoping there was a stamped steel type that also had a drain hole in it I could install next time I drain and change the fluid it in. My latest efforts at finding such a cover have come up with naught.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I really doubt you'll find a cheap stamped cover with a drain plug for the 7.5/7.625 axles. One thing you could do is drill/tap the axle housing itself for a 1/4 NPT plug. If I were to do it, I would drill into the recess that is located to the passenger side of center in the housing as shown in this picture from my 'Rear Axle Service' tech article:

If I remember correctly, there is even a flat on the underside of the housing in that location about 1" forward of the cover sealing surface.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Wonder if you could drill and tap the cover for drain and fill plugs? Or, if you know a buddy with a welder, see if they can weld a bung on

Last edited by cleburne red; 02-28-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Welding nuts onto the cover is definitely a possibility, but the stamped covers are not thick enough for standard drill/tap. They would need to be punched out to flare the inside and even at that, the metal really is barely thick enough to support threads even with a decent amount of a lip pressed in. It would be very easy to crack that lip in the process of pressing the hole.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:11 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Yeah, those covers are pretty thin. The housing would be a much better place to tap.

My front diff doesn't have a drain at all. Have you any knowledge about drilling and tapping that housing? Since it's my off road toy, the diffs will be taking lots of baths lol. I'll need to change the fluid regularly on them.

Sorry for the hijack, Christine!

Old 02-28-2019, 10:17 PM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Wonder if you could drill and tap the cover for drain and fill plugs? Or, if you know a buddy with a welder, see if they can weld a bung on
Or get a new cover, take it to a welding shop and get one welded on. I can't imagine it would be more than a couple bucks if you brought your own hardware and were willing to wait a couple days when they had a minute to get to it.

I was considering doing this for mine when I replace it this weekend.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rock18
Or get a new cover, take it to a welding shop and get one welded on. I can't imagine it would be more than a couple bucks if you brought your own hardware and were willing to wait a couple days when they had a minute to get to it.

I was considering doing this for mine when I replace it this weekend.
Most muffler shops could probably do just as good of a job, but faster and cheaper.