Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear Diff Fill Plug Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:02 AM
SCPratt is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Diff Fill Plug Removal

Hello All!

The fill plug On my '96 Blazer started to srip-out when I tried removing it. Before attempting to loosen it, I cleaned it and spreayed some liquid wrench on it, but it was just last year when I had the autoshop relace the rear diff fluid for me...so it wasn't too nasty around it. Now I'm having to replace the wheel bearings/seals...hence the reason for another fill.

I've read every "rear diff" post in here I could find (good summary explanation by swartlkk on rear diff, btw!) and most seem to indicate that using a good 3/8" socket driver is the best tool.

Is there actually a specific tool to fit this plug? My 3.8" craftsman ratchet and extentions do not a a nice 'square' end, so they do not fit deeply into the plug.

On a side note, I have to say I have been reading posts on this site for probably close to 4 years...just decided to become a member this past month. The insight that all the members post here (i.e., dealing with things like I'm mentioning above) has been invaluable. I have a '96 2-DR 4WD and have added Superlift 2" kit (new front upper control arms, torsion keys and rear leaf), Gibson exhaust, K&N filter, 2" wheel spacers, Roughcountry fender flares, running Godyear 31 x 10.5s on it...and for nearly every project I have come here first to see comments others have posted. Probably would have pulled my hair out without the assistance! Thanks!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah a 3/8s in the tool too use the head on it isnt wicked deep,make sure it is cleaned right out and then put the extension in there and hit it a couple times when it seated in there well. Mine started to stip out also when I took mine out,but eventually it gave up after some hits and many attempts. Also make sure you are using an extenstion that is just long enough if its too long you will have issues with it twisting and stripping.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Beginning Member
jimmy1996 is on a distinguished road
Wink

you have to take a 3/8 extention and grind all the sides 100 % flat (no rounded corners) but dont take to much off. i had the same problem. mine was in so damn tight i twisted off an extention

Old 05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would buy a cheap extension and grind the end perfectly flat. Before you put it into the plug though, take a small sharp chisel and make sure that the hole in the plug is clean all the way to the bottom.

If that does not work and you still slip around the hole, get a set of bolt/screw extractors and go to work.

If you already have the case stripped down, you can drill the plug out, making for an even bigger surface for the bolt/screw extractor to bite into.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member
jimmy1996 is on a distinguished road

ya what he said

Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 PM
SCPratt is on a distinguished road

Thanks Gyus!!

I took your advice and purchased a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter so I could use my torque wrench and put a little more force on it. After grinding the tip flat and then making sure the hole in the plug was good and clean, it came out no problem! I had visions of stripped-out drain plug...no way to put the diff back together and fill if...with work tomorrow morning! I having to work on my daily driver...seems when you have to get it running, something always goes wrong. When your just playin', it all come together smoothly.

I appreciate the tips!

BYW, after putting in new axle bearings and seals and new rear brake shoes (bad seal completely soaked the brakes so they weren't doing anthing) I can't remember the last time the back end of that truck sounded so smooooooth.... . Just when I wanted to get rid of it, now I want to keep it some more.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

You did replace the fill plug with a "new" one didn't you? Please don't tell us that you just put the old one back in...