Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear diff and gear question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 PM
6Cyl'erThriller is on a distinguished road
Arrow Rear diff and gear question

So heres the deal. I have had this strange problem with the rear end intermittently hitting a dead spot or something while im driving and I cant figure out what the heck could be causing this. It seems to go back into place once I hit 4wd and drive around for a bit.

So far Ive gotten the old rear out and removed the diff cover and the small gears in the center. I see one gear that has a couple good sized "dents" or something where it looks like it could have slipped. It has a small gash in it too. Could this be the cause of the "slippage"??

I got a new rear from a generous member here okiedoak20 but when I removed this diff cover I found some similar but less harsh marks on only one of the gears nearly the same as the old diff I just removed. Neither diffs gears had any missing teeth or any real signs of damage other than the few marks on the one gear in each diff.

I guess my question is this. Could I replace the messed up gear from one diff with the good one from the other diff? I know there is some weird stuff with diffs but Im a total noob when it comes to whats inside the pumpkin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I dont hear any noises like anything is grinding. What else could it be?

Ive also now accepted the fact that maybe this is not the problem but does any one have any better guess? Heres a few photos of what I found when I cracked open the diffs today. Could I use the one good gear from the old diff to replace the messed up gear in the new diff without messing anything up? I had thought maybe a couple of teeth went missing from the ring gear or something but All the other gears look just fine. Help! and Thanks in advance for any advice.