Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear End Question...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Starting Member
Tynan Tha Real Dill is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Strangerock
That looks fairly normal and the nut holding that yoke on to the diff has a high torque value and very rarely loosens on its own. You need a pinion seal to fix that leak, and watch a couple u tube videos , Is is a pretty easy job.

Does this video explain it pretty good? Why is he making marks and counting the threads?

Old 10-08-2017, 03:55 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tynan Tha Real Dill
https://youtu.be/HNkGdByzyjI

Does this video explain it pretty good? Why is he making marks and counting the threads?
That is the backyard way of changing the pinion seal. He is counting the threads and realigning the nut to get as close as possible to the previous torque and crush value. You can do it this way, but there is no guarantee of it lasting any length of time.
Doing the job that way he does not even verify proper gear pattern by pulling the cover.

You are suppose to install a new crush sleeve then torque it properly to ensure the preload on the pinion bearings are correct. then you should pull the rear cover and use marking compound to verify the ring and pinion mesh correctly.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Strangerock
That looks fairly normal and the nut holding that yoke on to the diff has a high torque value and very rarely loosens on its own. You need a pinion seal to fix that leak, and watch a couple u tube videos , Is is a pretty easy job.
Ok I'm going to attempt to replace this seal. Whats the size of the nut holding that pinion ?

And is this the right seal ? http://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/ma...ttr_10039=Rear

And how many oz of gear oil does the rear end take ? It's 80/90 oil right ?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM

Good luck, hope it lasts.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck
Good luck, hope it lasts.
I know you suggested to take it to a shop but I simply can't afford it with no job or money, so my cheapest route is to do it myself. I start school for automotive tech on the 23rd of this month and this is my only means of transportation.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tynan Tha Real Dill
I know you suggested to take it to a shop but I simply can't afford it with no job or money, so my cheapest route is to do it myself. I start school for automotive tech on the 23rd of this month and this is my only means of transportation.
I understand its expensive, but if you cant afford to fix it correctly and you rely on this truck daily i would just keep the fluid full as long as it is not leaking very bad. then fix it properly when you can.
The chances of you doing something wrong and causing the rear diff to fail are very high if you dont know what you are doing. I have seen these things fail and put a pinion through the cast iron case.

Or just go to a junkyard and find another 4x4 differential with the correct gear ratio and swap the entire assembly. might be cheaper than trying to fix what you have especially if the one you have is already making noise.

Last edited by ChuckNTruck; 10-12-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck
I understand its expensive, but if you cant afford to fix it correctly and you rely on this truck daily i would just keep the fluid full as long as it is not leaking very bad. then fix it properly when you can.
The chances of you doing something wrong and causing the rear diff to fail are very high if you dont know what you are doing. I have seen these things fail and put a pinion through the cast iron case.

Or just go to a junkyard and find another 4x4 differential with the correct gear ratio and swap the entire assembly. might be cheaper than trying to fix what you have especially if the one you have is already making noise.
OK . because there is no fluid on the ground I'm going to assume the leak isn't bad. I'm going to check the fluid level and fill it up. How many oz does it hold ?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:11 AM
Starting Member

Also, can low fluid cause bad acceleration and truck vibration ? Should adding fluid fix those issues ?