Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear end yoke issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM
shadowvnt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear end yoke issue

I've got a 85 Blazer full size. That I'm getting from my bro-in-law. He broke the rear drive shaft a while back and in the process tore the rear end yoke up. Here's the kicker he has misplaced the old tore up yoke. He took it to a place to order a new one and left it with them. He then ...uh... had some issues and never went back to get the new one or the old one. The blazer has a 305 with a 4spd trans. I remember that the old yoke had the little teeth on it were the u-joints sit. I can't seem to find one like it. I even work at a salvage yard and can't,lol. Now can I use any 1/2 ton fullsize yoke? even if it doesn't have the teeth, as long as it matches up with the driveshaft? Do I need to count splines or anything?
Any help is greatly apreciated!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Reare end yoke issue

You will have to match up the spline count with that of the pinion shaft that is in your rearend. I'm not sure what you mean by teeth though... I have never seen a yoke that had 'teeth' where the u-joint cups would sit.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:01 PM

LOL I hadn't seen one with the teeth before he broke it either. I did find a couple others with teeth on them after he broke it but the weren't the same width, if I remember right. He seemed to think the teeth were there to hold the u-joint cups in place. I thought the cups just sit there and were held in place by the "straps" that hold the driveshaft to the yoke. I should be able to use any 1/2 ton rear end yoke as long as the spline count is correct and it matches up the u-joint width, correct?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. You may also want to verify the lip seal surface diameter between the two rear ends.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Awesome. I'll make sure I check the seal size. Thanks a bunch for the help!