Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rebuilding Rear Diff

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 PM
GeorgeCooper48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rebuilding Rear Diff

Just wondering if anyone has done a rebuild on a rear differential of a 1999 Jimmy or Blazer? I had a spider gear go out so I have a pretty good clunking noise when I take turns and have it parked for now. I do not believe it is the ring and pinion because there is not any noise when going in a straight line. If anybody could give me a heads up as to what I am getting into or things to look out for or any prior experience would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know it is not a universal because I already pulled the drive shaft and check that.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/rear-axle-shaft-seal-leaking-34623/

As long as you're just taking the carrier out and putting it back in you'll be fine. If you mess with the pinion depth or with the ring gear then you'll have to set backlash and all that detailed stuff.

If/when you take the carrier out, make sure you label the shims on either side and put them back in EXACTLY how they came out.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM
GeorgeCooper48 is an unknown quantity at this point

I only plan on taking out the carrier. Is there any special tools needed? And do you have any information on workin on the carrier itself, such as replacing the spider gears, or is that pretty much just install n go?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

The post I linked mentions a slide hammer. This is to get the bearings out.

If you're only putting new spider gears in you don't really need to put new seals and bearings in but you might as well since you have it open.

Lining the spider gears up (with the little cups that go underneath them) with the pinion shaft was a pain for me but I left the carrier in the housing.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Beginning Member
dart08 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with replacing the rear wheel bearings and seals while doing the spider gears repair. I kept the pinion shaft part way in and replaced one spider at a time. That way both gears don't fall out and you have to hunt for any shims that might have fallen off.