Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Removing 4WAL ABS System? (Computer + Motor + Lines)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Starting Member
95BlackGA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removing 4WAL ABS System? (Computer + Motor + Lines)

Trying to find info on removing my 4WAL ABS unit. The computer is jacked up, and I don't want to replace it, due to the extreme prices of the new units. I'd rather just do away with it. I understand I just remove the lines from the motor and computer assembly and pull that, then I need to get a proportioning valve to add back into the system. However, I don't know which lines to keep, which lines to get rid of, ect. I am replacing the master brake booster and master cylinder also, probably at the same time. Replacing the booster, because it has a failed vacuum.

Clif notes :

Removing ABS, which lines do I need to remove?

Which lines need to be placed into the new proportioning valve?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

on my 93 i have that huge set up on the driverside fender, i just cut all the wires at the tires due to the SFA and thats it. that abs has a proportioning valve built into it and it seems to work just fine with the abs not hooked up. the abs light is on of course. you might be able to unplug it and have it go away i did that on my 90 fullsize when i bypassed the abs unit, just unplug it and the light goes away

if you want to do it the proper way the proportioning valve should have 2 lines from the master going into it and two lines going out, one to the front brakes (going to need a T of some sort) and one to the rear rubber line.

alot of guys that go this route just plumb the front with no proportioning valve and then use a adjustable one for the rear that you can mess with but that sounds like a pain to me

Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Starting Member
95BlackGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I've pulled the power from the unit, and no more ABS light. However, there may be air in the system, and I don't want to mess around with bleeding that system. Plus, once I change the master cylinder and brake booster, there's a larger chance that I introduce air into the unit. I've read every where that it's a PITA to bleed, and would rather just do away with the setup. I've been given some info on which proportioning valve works best, and have ordered one already. Pulling the entire system just seems easier in the long run.