Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Replace differential guts or swap whole axle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Beginning Member
YJ Wralph is on a distinguished road

Nope. That's what the bump stops land on when the suspension is compressed.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 AM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

funny, an axle wrap causing bump stop! hehehe

Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Beginning Member
YJ Wralph is on a distinguished road

They sit on the leafs when the axle is in the truck... Not causing axle wrap. Go take a look at yours...

Attached Thumbnails Replace differential guts or swap whole axle?-44bcdbb2-aa21-45b4-aba2-749c4c41070e-12711-000016831fa762f8.jpg  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blazin00LT
If he is gonna junk it, why not make the drive and go get it yourself?
It's around an 8.5 hour drive one way, and with fuel prices and the cost of my time it would be cheaper to go buy a new one. It was a simple hope that he may be coming this direction in the near future.

Originally Posted by YJ Wralph
Sorry, dude, I ain't gonna be going anywhere near Edmonton any time soon....
No worries man. It was a thought. Looks like you're well on your way with the axle swap. At least the weather is on a warmish swing right now. A lot better than the nasty -20*C average we had a month ago. I had to do a few hours work on a truck outside in that and it wasn't very fun. Looks like one of the big problems you face is the snow melting all over you.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Working in the cold and snow is no fun,I have done it alot but anymore Its too hard for me to do.Good luck with the rest of the job.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Two axles out and one in, in under 6 hours, in the snow, with hand tools and a good buddy! The 99 got driven home, and it's done... Thanks, guys, for the advice and encouragement!
way to getr done!!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM

Two axles out and one in, in under 6 hours, in the snow, with hand tools and a good buddy! The 99 got driven home, and it's done... Thanks, guys, for the advice and encouragement!
Good work if you wait about a week it will as cold here as it is there and you can be my buddy:i con_lolsign:

Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
Good work if you wait about a week it will as cold here as it is there and you can be my buddy:i con_lolsign:
It's probably colder for him, he's up north higher than us. BTW, I don't think I've seen you on here before. You live close to me! I'm maybe 30 minutes from Port Huron.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by iamchevyman5
It's probably colder for him, he's up north higher than us. BTW, I don't think I've seen you on here before. You live close to me! I'm maybe 30 minutes from Port Huron.
Crap we are close and I have an aquintance used to be freind that lives in NB.Been on here for a while but took a little break I had to step back for bit.BTW do you fish up here at all?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
Crap we are close and I have an aquintance used to be freind that lives in NB.Been on here for a while but took a little break I had to step back for bit.BTW do you fish up here at all?
My brother and dad fish on lake St. Clair with our 21' hunting/fishing boat. We haven't taken it up into lake huron by you though because it's a flat bottom and waves make it too rough of a ride to want to travel any long distances. I'm not really into it though, I find fishing to be boring. I'd rather just take the boat and cruise the lake.

Regarding the axle, I replaced the rear axle pinion seal some months ago, and it's been leaking still ever since. A mechanic friend-of-the-family will charge me $75 to redo the replacement of the pinion seal, but says that it could be something else internal that's causing the leak.

I figure I'll try the cheap route (that is, just replacing the pinion seal again) and see if that's the problem and stops the leak and if it doesn't, I'll address whatever the likely big problem is.

What's the routine for replacing it though? I already know that you take the driveshaft off, remove the yoke, take out the old seal and pound in the new, but what's this about crush washers and correct torque? I replaced the seal and did the method I was shown for the torque. That is, I counted the number of threads showing, marked the bolt's position, removed it, and replaced it in the same position. SOUNDS like I did it right, right?! Then why is it leaking? !!!!!!!!