Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Replacing the Front Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007 | 01:01 PM
Schmev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing the Front Shocks

I have a 1999 Blazer 4WD. What tools are necesary for getting the job done? I bought the Haynes book, but it's completely vague and doesn't list any socket sizes or anything of the sort, which was why I spent $17 on it in the first place I took a tire off yesterday to have a look, and it looks like a tight squeeze, especially one of the bottom bolts. I have a fair assortment of ratchet sizes, a pliers, robogrip, simple stuff like that. Will I need to buy anything before I get started and find I can't put it back together safely? Visegrip maybe? I really don't own any "special" tools of any sort yet. This Haynes manual just says take out this bolt and that bolt, blah blah blah, but doesn't say how to get it done, or problems I might encounter. Also, is this something I can do on my own with limited experience? Thank you!

Old 09-24-2007 | 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replacing the Front Shocks

18mm socket and 18mm wrench. Top bolts are a squeeze but can be done with a little persistence. No special tools needed. You may want to compress the shock to get it out of the whole assembly. Be careful of the brake lines on the driver's side. Don't want to bend/crimp/damage those bad boys. Good luck!