Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Ride height

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010 | 07:51 PM
|
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road
Default Ride height

I know this question has been asked and answered a ton of times, but I have a question about ride height.

I've read the posts, I've even consulted a GM service manual on how to set ride height, but I'm curious about one thing. Is it something someone can check without having front end alignment tools? You're supposed to measure from the lowest point of the steering knuckle, but I'm not sure how to go about it because the tire is in the way of directly measuring it.

I'm pretty sure the front is sagging on my blazer, and I'd like to check it myself if possible. Gurus, I need your help

Old 12-22-2010 | 08:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to think outside the box for getting a measurement. Do you have a level and a 2-3 foot straight edge? Put the straight edge to the bottom of the steering knuckle and while holding it level, measure up to the pivot point. Ofcourse, your truck must be on a level surface as well.

Old 12-22-2010 | 08:07 PM
|

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You have to think outside the box for getting a measurement. Do you have a level and a 2-3 foot straight edge? Put the straight edge to the bottom of the steering knuckle and while holding it level, measure up to the pivot point. Ofcourse, your truck must be on a level surface as well.
Ah, ok. I was wondering about doing something like that, but wasn't sure. My dad's shop has a nice level floor, that's where I try to do anything that requires me to crawl around under my truck. Thanks!

Old 12-23-2010 | 07:10 PM
|

Well, I checked it and the front really is sagging. I had a little trouble measuring everything, so I checked and rechecked several times to make sure I was measuring it right. swartlkk, I was supposed to measure from the bottom of the steering knuckle itself, and not the ball joint threads, right? At least, I hope that's right. I ended up cranking the tb adjuster bolts 4 turns. Afterward, I measured and the height difference between the bottom of the steering knuckle and the center of the control arm pivot bolt is slightly over 4 1/2 inches.

I made sure the floor was level, then used a straight edge and held it where it touched the bottom of the steering knuckle, then put my level on top of the straight edge and measured from the floor up to the straight edge. I know you said to measure directly from the bottom of the knuckle up to the pivot bolt, but it was really hard to juggle the straight edge, the level and a tape measure, while trying to hold it where I could measure up to the bolt. I wasn't 100% sure which pivot bolt I was supposed to measure, so I checked both the front and rear bolts. They were the same height. The difference came out to slightly over 4.5 inches. Does it sound like I did it correctly?

Measuring at the center of the front fenders, I ended up gaining an inch and a half.

Before:

After:

The blazer sits pretty level now. I'll get a side shot tomorrow to check it against the one I took the other day.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Old 12-23-2010 | 07:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's the lowest point of the steering knuckle, not the ball joint threads.

Sounds like you got it done.

Old 12-23-2010 | 09:55 PM
|

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It's the lowest point of the steering knuckle, not the ball joint threads.

Sounds like you got it done.
Thanks. The guy who owns the shop across the street does front end alignments. His wife called and needs her computer worked on. Barter time!