Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Shackle Angle

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Jimmy_Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Shackle Angle

Hi everyone. So I've been trying to get more flex out of my front leafs on my blazer, did some research and found that shackle angle makes a huge difference. In the photo (if it uploads) is how mine are, leaning towards the axle instead of away. So now obviously I need to fix this. I know I could get longer leafs, or remount the shackle mount, but could I try a different shackle? Like one shaped like an upside down Like so that thelong side angle is normal and leave the shackle mount in the same spot? Not sure on the truss geometry and weight distribution. So that's why I'm asking to see if it's possible. Thanks!!!

Attached Thumbnails Shackle Angle-p_20170411_090712.jpg  
Old 04-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

The proper way would be to move your mount forward about an inch. Anything other than a bit longer springs (which could throw your axle placement and steering geometry off unless you find something with the same pin to eye length for the front side) or moving the mounts to the correct location (better option) will only be putting a bandaid on the issue and not actually correcting anything. It will flex and drive better with proper shackle angle.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the reply, I crawled under it today to check and see how I could move the mount, the problem is its already far enough forward that any more would leave a gap from the frame because of the arch in the frame.

I measured the leafs and am guessing they are from a wagoneer. Their dimensions are about 47" in length, with a 24.5" pin to eye (front). Next step up in leaf length would be cherokee, which is 51 but pin to eye is 23". I need to have steering work done anyway, dont know if just getting new leafs would be better, as I'm not sure how old these are. That or I might be able to fab up a whole new mount plate. Ideas?

Old 05-03-2017, 11:04 AM

Update!

Fabbed me up a new hanger mount. Cut off the old and put on the new, moved the mount out about 2 inches and the shackles are at much better angles. Though, it didn't change the flex amount by much, drove it up on a couple tires on one side (about 16-18 inches high), the leaf compressed more than it did with the bad shackle angles but not as much as I had hoped. Any other tips or tricks to get more flex? I already disconnected the swap bar links. Haven't taken it for a drive yet to see how it handles but will update when I do.

Attached Thumbnails Shackle Angle-p_20170502_161753%5B1%5D.jpg