Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Spark plug help!!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Beginning Member
1995 Blazer is on a distinguished road

that damn spark plug i remeber that day i think i finnally took the motor mount out and lifted the engine up a few inches

Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
s10skookblazer is on a distinguished road

the best and easiest way i found to remove that plug was to remove the whole air box and tube than use a 5/8 spark plug socket with hex top for wrench and a 19mm wrench it was pretty easy and i had know problem working around the steering shaft.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Beginning Member
mike mtzr2 is on a distinguished road

spark plug socket, swivel on socket, ext, mud flap, be careful.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
chasman57 is on a distinguished road

I actually even broke the top of the plug off, then I could get the socket on it to get it out. I do take the tire/wheel off. It makes it easier.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I leave the wheels on, use a socket with a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and a long extension. I am able to remove the plug going through the wheel well. No need to remove anything.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Beginning Member
davesipes is on a distinguished road
Default Changin plug 3

Originally Posted by Chevy Boi
I'm having trouble changing the middle spark plug on the drivers side because I can't get to it I'm sure u guys have had the same problem what do I do thanks
I just completed a tune up on my '03 Blazer. Read several posts in this forum and used some of the ideas and I wanted to post my help.

1. Carefully break the insulator off the old plug. I went through the wheel well and used a long bar - just line it up and one quick tap should do it.
2. Use a standard 5/8" socket with a swivel, long extension, again through the wheel well, to extract the old plug. I only had a 1/2" drive swivel - kinda tight - use 3/8" if you have it.
3. Start the new plug by hand (I didn't say this was easy but can be done) and work it in as many turns as you can (I put a little lube on the threads first).
4. You must use a plug socket with flats on the end (see the pics). Based on how far you could turn in the new plug the socket must be modified for length. I ground mine to 2-3/8" but maybe 2-1/4" is best. This will allow for the socket to slip onto the plug in the space between it and the steering column.
5. I modified a 3/4" box end wrench to about 4-1/2 inches long (see pics). Reaching through the wheel well with some patience this wrench will easily trun the plug in the rest of the way (handle facing aft). When the plug bottoms out line up a bar through the engine bay and CAREFULLY tap to tighten the plug. DONE. Hope this helps someone out. Regards, Dave

Attached Thumbnails Spark plug help!!!!!-dsc09963.jpg   Spark plug help!!!!!-dsc09965.jpg  
Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking the insulator off of the plug can result in ceramic pieces getting into the cylinder. I have broken some plugs before and had the portion of the ceramic inside of the threaded steel housing basically explode throwing junk into the engine. I got lucky though as this was on an engine I was rebuilding.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:12 PM
rafa.jrbarajas is on a distinguished road
Default i also did it

it is so much easier getting it from the wheel well its pretty easy

Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Beginning Member
bigrig1186 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by davesipes
I just completed a tune up on my '03 Blazer. Read several posts in this forum and used some of the ideas and I wanted to post my help.

1. Carefully break the insulator off the old plug. I went through the wheel well and used a long bar - just line it up and one quick tap should do it.
2. Use a standard 5/8" socket with a swivel, long extension, again through the wheel well, to extract the old plug. I only had a 1/2" drive swivel - kinda tight - use 3/8" if you have it.
3. Start the new plug by hand (I didn't say this was easy but can be done) and work it in as many turns as you can (I put a little lube on the threads first).
4. You must use a plug socket with flats on the end (see the pics). Based on how far you could turn in the new plug the socket must be modified for length. I ground mine to 2-3/8" but maybe 2-1/4" is best. This will allow for the socket to slip onto the plug in the space between it and the steering column.
5. I modified a 3/4" box end wrench to about 4-1/2 inches long (see pics). Reaching through the wheel well with some patience this wrench will easily trun the plug in the rest of the way (handle facing aft). When the plug bottoms out line up a bar through the engine bay and CAREFULLY tap to tighten the plug. DONE. Hope this helps someone out. Regards, Dave
man you guys don't know how much work your doing they make a tool just for that spark plug on that truck im a heavy duty diesel mechanic and i got all snap on tools so while looking thru their magazine i found the socket made for that truck the ratchet input is offset to the socket so u can turn it... its soo easy take 30 secs to take out man too bad u didn't kno that sry

Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 AM
ligero18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plug help!!!!!