Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Spark plug help!!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member
mod8521 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Breaking the insulator off of the plug can result in ceramic pieces getting into the cylinder. I have broken some plugs before and had the portion of the ceramic inside of the threaded steel housing basically explode throwing junk into the engine. I got lucky though as this was on an engine I was rebuilding.
+1
Tune up to my old car became last day for the car next day it was shredded ceramic does a number to a cylinder!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member
breakyadown89 is on a distinguished road

The easiest way to do it is by dropping the steering column. that way you will have a lot more room to work. it is just one bolt on the steering box that you have to pull then pry the steering rack from the steering box and then move it off to the side. then you will be able to get at it.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member
bob_elder is on a distinguished road

i just changed mine out the other day and i had to go thru the wheel well and i didnt have to use a swivel just an extention on my wrachet. its a pain in the butt, but it aint the hardest thing iv had to do to my blazer. i too had to remove the rubber piece out of my socket cuz it was such a pain to get it on because of the angle its in there. good luck

Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Beginning Member
odfareal is on a distinguished road

When I changed my #3, I disconnected the steering linkage, and just did it thru the wheel well after that. 100x easier. Dude, that thing is a PITA otherwise. There was a thread here I used that had pictures that made this change a snap to do on a weekend on alternate side parking here in NYC. LOL

Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 AM
m5james is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't jack up anything, nor did I remove the steering joint. Just used a wiggle joint and make it happen. Don't make it harder than it has to be...and use search nexttime if your in such a rush instead of crying wolf.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by m5james
I didn't jack up anything, nor did I remove the steering joint. Just used a wiggle joint and make it happen. Don't make it harder than it has to be...and use search nexttime if your in such a rush instead of crying wolf.
I'm confused too after reading this thread. A few days after buying my 93 S10 Blazer (4.3 vortec), I had someone do a tune up for me (didn't have any tools at the time... just now getting into doing my own maintenance). He had a little difficulty on the #3 plug... but this problem was the spark plug socket had a rubber gasket in it and it got stuck on the plug and was hard to get off. But other than that, he didn't remove anything, didn't go through wheel well, used a 3/8" ratchet, about a 2-3" extension and spark plug socket.

Is everything talking about a regular Blazer here or other years of the S10 Blazer? Why is it so difficult on others?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:20 AM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Easy...go in through the wheel well with a special tool sold at autozone. It is a spark plug socket on a 10 inch extension with a ball style swivel. I can ratchet mine on and off all the way without moving the steering column.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 AM
avionicsncoic is on a distinguished road

I haven't read all the replies so apologies if this is a repeat. I have changed plug sets on 2 Blazers (95 & 01), a 97 Jimmy, and my 95 Sonoma and have never taken steering linkage apart for remove or replace.

What I use for removal and install AFTER breaking old plug loose with socket is a short piece of 3/8" rubber hose placed over top of plug and then hand-threading most of the way in and out...just a suggestion...

Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rastoma
.....................Is everything talking about a regular Blazer here or other years of the S10 Blazer? Why is it so difficult on others?
yes we're talking about the S10's (all of them, p/u's, Blazer's, Jimmy's). and we're talking about all years of the 4.3's. funny, it's been so long now, i can't remember how difficult it was on the 2.8 that originally was in my first Blazer.

you know, this #3 plug would be a non-issue if GM was smart enough to offer the diesel's in these trucks again.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A 2.8L would be easy given that it is a 60* v6. Much narrower engine than the 4.3L 90* v6.

But then again, this discussion really should be taking place in the Discussion portion of the thread hinted to below...
Originally Posted by swartlkk
Check the Tech Article (DIY) section. There is a VERY lengthy thread in there about this very topic.

And not all trucks require you to disconnect the steering shaft.