Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering Problem NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 PM
BFee317 is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Problem NEED HELP!

1988 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 4.3L V6

Recently something snaped in the steering column and I took it to a shop to have them replace it.

Now it is doing the samething 6 months later. I need to know if anyone has experienced this problem.

While parked or driving the steering wheel will move freely in a circular motion like the tilt wheel is not fully engaged.

Is this an easy fix? I am some what mechanicly able and recently replaced the fuel pump and filter without any problems.

Please help!

Brian

Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you determined where the problem is? Is it in the column or does the whole steering shaft down to the steering gear box turn?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:21 PM
BFee317 is on a distinguished road

It is the not the whole column it just goes up, down, left and right and looks like it is around the tilt wheel. Many people have this problem and say there are 4 bolts that need to be tighten.

I would like to solve this problem myself and before when it was looser than it is now, it actually snapped some wiring and killed the vehicle last time. The shop I took it to replaced it with a used part and charged me $300 plus dollars to repair it. So I am wondering if it is this four bolt problem and where I can get the puller for the steering wheel and if I need any other specialty tools.