Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

I'm hunting down a steering problem. Need help please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road
Default I'm hunting down a steering problem. Need help please?

I replaced pitman arm, idler arm, drag link, inner/outer tierods, adjustment sleeves, upper/lower balljoints (moog), upper/lower a-arm bushings, sway bar bushings and end links, and the drivers side CV axle. I went and had it aligned and they even printed me off a diagram of what all they adjusted and what all the specs were.
But I had them look into play in the steering wheel. They said the only thing that they seen that would cause the play after the alignment was the steering box itself. But My problem is that sometime when I'm driving my steering is better than at other times. It seems that my truck turns normal around left hand turns(highway speeds). But feel "touchy" on the right hand turns. I also have something rattling on the drivers side everytime I hit a small bump. And driving in the wind is insane (my 77 ford with 44's is easier to drive than this thing!). But like I said it doesn't seem to act this way all the time. I've had the thing up on jack stand numerous times, beat on the tires on the ground, took the wheel off checked out for any play... and I'm at a lost cause.
I know the steering box does have some play in it (and I need to address this problem). But other than the wheel hubs and passengers side CVaxle... I can't think of anything else that would be wore out. Oh, and My tires are wearing perfect this has been an ongoing issue since this summer. I'm just trying to get it sorted out before snow and ice hit. I love being the guy pulling everyone out... But currently I think I'd die driving this thing in the first snow LOL!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

is your power steering pump going?
only reason i say that is because its not on you check list.

just a total shot in the dark on that.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Sway bar links? You really have to disconnect one side to check them properly.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Starting Member

the pump doesn't make any noises. And the sway bar bushings and links are new. I don't off-road the truck. It actually barely got drove because of gas prices. But now my cheap beater car pooped out on me and it looks like I'll be driving the blazer this winter. I might try a salvage yard steering box. It seems re'manned ones are pretty pricey. I'm going to check again on the front end this weekend. I'm going to check if my ride height is right also. They said they had no problems aligning it. But I'm pretty sure I don't have it sitting at stock height I'm fitting 31's without trimming. But I do have it alot lower than what it was sitting at before I put all the new parts in. Anyone want to measure from their CV axle center to the bottom of the front fender lip (I've got the GM specs also)?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

What about your torsion bars? Are they out of adjustment? That can cause ride and handling issues. I'm not familiar with torsion bar issues because I've never dealt with them myself.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 AM
Starting Member

I've got them set to the exact same height on both sides. But that's not saying that one is weaker than the other. It only take like 15min to take the tension off and see if the adjusters are screwed in the same or not. I might do that while I'm checking stuff this weekend. Because I was thinking I turned each side in 18 turns. But I can't remember crap unless I write it down

Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

And one sway link should be disconnected when you do the TB setup, too. Counting turns are to get it close.