Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member
punx.inc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default steering problems

okay, im baffled. i've got an 86 k5 with no lift or anything. the tires pull really hard to the left or the right. there is no straight with them, its either left or right. if i have the tires turned all the way to the right, as i turn to the left, you can hear the pump squeling to turn to the tires, and its jerky. and just when you think the tires are gonna be straight, it pops and magically you are turning left, and it will turn easily. the same goes for the vice versa. when you get it to go straight, you can feel the wheel pulling to which ever side you had just turned. is it the steering box, the alignment, or what? im just flumoxed.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: steering problems

I believe the steering in your truck is the same as my 74. This setup is not great. It utilizes a drag link style steering setup. It sounds like your problem is within the steering gear box itself. There are adjustments that can be made, but there were three steering boxes used in your year. It can be difficult to determine which you have and all three have different types of adjustments.

But I would also check the drag link joints and the tie rod ends. With the front end off the ground, grab the different rods and have a look at the joints on the ends.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Beginning Member
punx.inc is an unknown quantity at this point

okay, thanks. i was hoping it was just alignment, but i kinda new in the back of myhead it wouldnt be. i guess i better start looking into finding out what gearbox it is and how to adjust it. thanks a lot for the second opinion.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I added some more information above as well. Check out all of the joints in the steering as the tie rod ends and the drag link ends can cause the same symptoms to a certain extent. If it is really bad, it could be a combination of all of the above.